Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Buying new car help

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Negotiating before you get there is pointless. Where I worked they wouldn't even entertain offers. They typical answer was.....you haven't even seen the car, you don't know if it even has an engine. Come test drive it and if you like it we'll talk!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    And I would never do business with that person or dealership. I have purchased my last two vehicles this way. I email in and request information from the fleet or internet salesperson. I have all of my information ready including invoice cost of what they currently have in stock. I let them know I have done the same with at least one other dealership. Truecar emails multiple dealerships in the same manner. I would never walk into a dealership and talk to the first salesman that rushes up to me.

The statement about it not having an engine is absolutely retarded and would have me avoiding that place like the plague. Most people know the exact care they want. I know I did. The "test" drive was just a formality and to make sure there were no issues.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The point of the statement was that you're bargaining on something you've never seen, haven't touched and don't know if you'll like it. You'll need to still go to buy it so why not just do all that once you drive the car. I know I wanted a Jeep Wrangler untill I test drove one. Lost interest in it!

There's nothing different when you walk in and get "rushed". You either like the terms or you don't. Being at the location doesn't make me feel like I have to buy anything. Like Will said, my buys take 20 min or so and done. They can either do the price I want or can't

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    If that's her attitude, I'd hand her the keys to the car and say "let me know what you get" and be done cuz you'll have steam coming out your ears and a big fight later on. Me, I'd set the ground rules before going in as who is the negotiator/talker and who is the wing man/woman. My GF knows I will get us a good deal within 15 mins if she lets me do my thing. She fights me on all kinda stuff, but not that. She lets me know what she wants in the car having done her research on line, and I get the deal done.
    Yeah I know.

I deal everything finances but when she wants something.... I've told her what is going to happen so we will see. Good chance I'm walking out the door.

Feedback Score
    Double3, you gotta sit her down and tell to her how to get a good deal....splain it to her bro, let the crazy out, be firm, stand your ground! The money you'll save can buy other needed things (gun, atv, car, truck, ect. parts ) or pay off other things.

I understand how the wife thing works....I got one of them. We all learn to pick and choose our battles, this is one you gotta pick.

My wife and I let each other do pretty much what we want to do. Including spending reasonable amounts of money. Buying a car/truck type of money, we make sure we're on the same page (which your wife and you are too) and get the best deal no matter what it takes. We always go into buying a car/truck with the attitude that we want this new car/truck, we don't need this new car/truck. We make sure the dealer knows that too.

Good luck my friend, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    The point of the statement was that you're bargaining on something you've never seen, haven't touched and don't know if you'll like it. You'll need to still go to buy it so why not just do all that once you drive the car. I know I wanted a Jeep Wrangler untill I test drove one. Lost interest in it!

There's nothing different when you walk in and get "rushed". You either like the terms or you don't. Being at the location doesn't make me feel like I have to buy anything. Like Will said, my buys take 20 min or so and done. They can either do the price I want or can't

I don't need to be physically standing in front of a CRV to know what it is and that is actually has an engine in it. What a ridiculous thing to say to some one. I had already researched everything and knew what I wanted before contacting any dealers. I would not do business with someone following the policies you describe.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    My wife hates the games, and when I'm done with these people, she actually feels bad for them. She doesn't seem to understand that it is their job to hoodwink us and separate us from as much of our money as possible, using any tactic possible. I have to explain to her that if they were losing money to people like us, they would not be able to stay in business. She doesn't like the confrontational feel of playing hardball with these sort of people.

Lucky for me, she does understand on some level what is going on and what is at stake, and she lets me do my thing.
    Last edited by Bulletdog; 07-30-17 at 19:45.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Engine is just an example. Pick any part. Point is you don't see the car you're talking about and they have in mind. You know what a CRV is but not the one you're discussing on emails. When I was car shopping 10 years ago I was looking at a Civic 5spd. I don't need any gizmos and really don't even have a preference for power windows. Talked to the dealer, got a good price but when I showed up it was the one Civic without AC or radio! Didn't even know they made those in 2007. All the back and forth could have been saved with a 10 min ride

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    My wife hates the games, and when I'm done with these people, she actually feels bad for them. She doesn't seem to understand that it is their job to hoodwink us and separate us from as much of our money as possible, using any tactic possible. I have to explain to her that if they were losing money to people like us, they would be able to stay in business. She doesn't like the confrontational feel of playing hardball with these sort of people.

Lucky for me, she does understand on some level what is going on and what is at stake, and she lets me do my thing.
    Hear, hear....good wife! I'm sure there are things she's better at handling too. God knows that's how it works for us!

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    Engine is just an example. Pick any part. Point is you don't see the car you're talking about and they have in mind. You know what a CRV is but not the one you're discussing on emails. When I was car shopping 10 years ago I was looking at a Civic 5spd. I don't need any gizmos and really don't even have a preference for power windows. Talked to the dealer, got a good price but when I showed up it was the one Civic without AC or radio! Didn't even know they made those in 2007. All the back and forth could have been saved with a 10 min ride

Still doesn't make any sense. The magics of the internet now lets us know exactly the vehicle they have in stock and with what options it has. If I know I want a Ford F250 diesel in grey, with leather seats, power everything, FX4 pacakge, 4 door, etc, etc etc. That is what I tell the dealership I want and for them to let me know if it is available. I don't need to come in and look at 25 Ford F250s that are colors I don't want, don't have leather, etc. If you have the one I want and we can come to a price, I will come in and buy it. If not, I won't come in, that simple.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    Still doesn't make any sense. The magics of the internet now lets us know exactly the vehicle they have in stock and with what options it has. If I know I want a Ford F250 diesel in grey, with leather seats, power everything, FX4 pacakge, 4 door, etc, etc etc. That is what I tell the dealership I want and for them to let me know if it is available. I don't need to come in and look at 25 Ford F250s that are colors I don't want, don't have leather, etc. If you have the one I want and we can come to a price, I will come in and buy it. If not, I won't come in, that simple.
    But if you said you wanted a basic F250? Are you still expecting AC and radio? Not talking about cassette/CD....just radio?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast