Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about Buying a Browning Hi Power, what to look for advice ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Thinking about Buying a Browning Hi Power, what to look for advice ?

Thinking about Buying a Browning Hi Power, what to look for i.e. Belgium, ….thats where my knowledge base takes me. I scanned Gun broker, I saw a couple for around $1,000 that looked very nice. My Budget would be around $1K for such a toy. I would consider a police trade in if it was very cheap and well taken care of and go from there too.

Anyway, aficionados hit me with some knowledge.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What are you looking to do with it? Customize it with some more modern upgrades (sights, finishes, safeties, etc) or just have a nice old Belgium gun to enjoy shooting occasionally (collectible/investment)?

That's the big question to answer first. If it's the latter, to me, a hi-power should be blued with walnut grips. The T-series (circa 1969 and prior) are considered to be some of the nicest examples made with beautiful finishes and just nice old pistols. I would imagine you could pick up a nice one for that $1k or less range.

If it's to be customized you can spend much less for most any vintage pistol and start making a list of what you'd like to do. Stay away from adjustable sight models (unless you want adjustable sights I suppose), as that limits very much your choices to add Novak, Heinie, or any number of aftermarket sights.

Originally the frames were forgings but switched to cast frames in the 80's (iirc). The cast frames are considered stronger in case you would want to build something that would take a steady diet of +p ammo.

there's many grip options out there, but to me (preference only) Craig Spegel is the name in grips. Great feel and a super nice guy to deal with as well.

Here's a website that's a wealth of knowledge:
    http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com

Here's my stock 1969. I've done nothing to it except add some grips from Spegel.

Here's a more modern cast frame I did for my dad. All I did was de-horned everything, cut off the ambi safety, cut in a set of novak night sights, Spegel grips, and blasted the entire gun and re-blued it. I like the way it turned out.

Note: both pictures show them with stock grips not the Spegels.

Mec-gar makes (or made) the mags for browning so just buy the 13's from them. They also make 15's that have proven reliable to me anyways, but the 13's are the original capacity.

Good luck with your search.

Edit: Not an expert, just had a few hi-powers.
    Last edited by Schmidtty; 07-27-17 at 12:46. Reason: Qualifications

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    ^^^^ Pappa, this is great advice, all you need to know really.

Feedback Score
    The magazine disconnect is frequently disabled by owners. Sometimes they replace the pin in the trigger following the alteration, sometimes not. If it is missing, it is a good sign the disconnect was disabled. I'd look for one that hadn't been molested unless you can determine provenance as other "smiff" work may have been attempted. Not that I'm a fan of the disconnect, just a clue someone has been inside the gun.
    Last edited by brushy bill; 07-27-17 at 15:50.

Feedback Score
    I love Hi Powers, probably carried one more than most as it was my issue pistol for most of my career. I have 2 full house custom pistols. One with a forged frame and one with a cast frame.

One has a Bar Sto barrel and everything was hand fitted, it is slightly more accurate than the one with a re crowned stock barrel.

I love Hi Powers, I will never sell mine.

Having said that My CZ P09 is just as accurate, lighter to carry, has more rounds.

I am done buying Hi Powers, CZ from now on.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I was looking for a good long time and found a 2015 model used in great shape for $625 locally. I'm bummed they aren't going to make them any longer. I really wanted a high polish standard model, the one I bought has the polymer finish.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    Having said that My CZ P09 is just as accurate, lighter to carry, has more rounds.

I am done buying Hi Powers, CZ from now on.
    I have one MKIII Browning Hi Power. Love it, but I have five CZ pistols.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I was looking for a good long time and found a 2015 model used in great shape for $625 locally. I'm bummed they aren't going to make them any longer. I really wanted a high polish standard model, the one I bought has the polymer finish.
    Whoa, whered you hear that there not making them anymore? That aint good...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GNXII View Post
    Whoa, whered you hear that there not making them anymore? That aint good...
    I read on the different forums the news that it is in (I think) the last American rifleman.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidtty View Post
    What are you looking to do with it? Customize it with some more modern upgrades (sights, finishes, safeties, etc) or just have a nice old Belgium gun to enjoy shooting occasionally (collectible/investment)?

That's the big question to answer first. If it's the latter, to me, a hi-power should be blued with walnut grips. The T-series (circa 1969 and prior) are considered to be some of the nicest examples made with beautiful finishes and just nice old pistols. I would imagine you could pick up a nice one for that $1k or less range.

If it's to be customized you can spend much less for most any vintage pistol and start making a list of what you'd like to do. Stay away from adjustable sight models (unless you want adjustable sights I suppose), as that limits very much your choices to add Novak, Heinie, or any number of aftermarket sights.

Originally the frames were forgings but switched to cast frames in the 80's (iirc). The cast frames are considered stronger in case you would want to build something that would take a steady diet of +p ammo.

there's many grip options out there, but to me (preference only) Craig Spegel is the name in grips. Great feel and a super nice guy to deal with as well.

Here's a website that's a wealth of knowledge:
    http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com

Here's my stock 1969. I've done nothing to it except add some grips from Spegel.

Here's a more modern cast frame I did for my dad. All I did was de-horned everything, cut off the ambi safety, cut in a set of novak night sights, Spegel grips, and blasted the entire gun and re-blued it. I like the way it turned out.

Note: both pictures show them with stock grips not the Spegels.

Mec-gar makes (or made) the mags for browning so just buy the 13's from them. They also make 15's that have proven reliable to me anyways, but the 13's are the original capacity.

Good luck with your search.

Edit: Not an expert, just had a few hi-powers.
    I probably want to do do what you did, buy I nice blue gun and put killer grips on it. I have a set of Craig's grips on a SW 44 mag that are just amazing. He is truly gifted at his niche.

I have little interets in CZ pistols, just am intrigued with the legacy of the Hi Power and feel everybody should have one that owns too many guns. And I love the real Blueing of yesteryear. I literally just want Schmidttys gun!! Very sweet. The one I saw on GB looked very similar. Give me a couple months and Ill probably chase on down.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-28-17 at 18:26.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast