Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High recoil guns

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've got a ported 1895 Marlin Guide Gun and shooting full load Buffalo Bore ammo just plain hurts. The make a low recoil load for it that isn't too bad.

Feedback Score
    I put a break on my 300 win mag for using a suppressor (Crux ARK30). While the can was in NFA jail I shot the gun with just the break. It helped tremendously. Not that a 300 win mag is a 416 but i'm sure the effects are similar. takes the bite out of it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crusader377 View Post
    Rifles: Anything above a .30-06 for your standard hunting rifle (7 to 8lb range)
    Shotguns: I find 12 gauge very reasonable to shoot with a standard 7-8lb shotgun but going to a lighter weight with 12 gauge or going to a 10 gauge seems to be much less enjoyable.
    Weight is the big deal... I used to shoot a Citori Upland 12g O/U for everything, skeet, dove, etc. But I reached a point it became intolerable. Can shoot my Beretta Outlander all day.

Same for super light bolt actions in hot .280 or similar, no fun at all on the bench. Even one of my 308s is a pain to dial in though great to hunt with.

These are clearly not in the same class as the African magnums, but just point out even a pound of weight difference can completely change recoil characteristics.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Are you shooting from the bench or standing? Heavy dangerous game rifles (basically anything above 9.3x74R/.375H&H) should not be shot from the bench as the position and resultant recoil direction can cause injury. They are designed to be shot standing where the body can roll backward with the recoil. Most people do this from some type of shooting stick/tripod/standing rest setup. I have had the pleasure of meeting a couple members of a private range in Houston (that I frequent as a guest) who both occasionally bring out what one calls "the big guns" for practice. Both hunt around the world regularly. One's heavy rifle is a .458 Lott that he shoots from a v rest atop a tripod. The other has .416 Rigby and a double rifle in .500 Nitro Express (iirc) and shoots them from a wooden framed standing rest.

I am glad I have no desire to hunt anything that requires more than a ~.375 as the noise alone is brutal. When the .500NE fires, the concussion wave reminds me of being too close to a couple of explosions in my younger days. All of them are gorgeous rifles, however. The Lott is a custom rifle while the other two are a Blaser and a Kreighoff.
    Last edited by cdmiller; 10-02-17 at 23:19.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Stock design, overall weight, and technique is all one needs to safely and effectively utilize big bore rifles. Low drop stocks with thick palm swell, wide recoil pads, and cheek rests that are low enough to keep the bore line even with your shoulder and to minimize cheek slap. 12 pounds of overall mass to help soak up energy. Place the buttstock more in your chest than on your shoulder, hold firm pressure, rock with the recoil like dancing with the big bore. Be smart about things! Prone shooting? NO! Bench? Maybe. Place a small sandbag over your shoulder to spread out the recoil and to add more mass. Kind of like a lead sled....

My experience???
    510 Wells
    416 Remington
    375 HH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12