Thread: Sig M400 SRP Build - First 2 Phases

Feedback Score

Sig M400 SRP Build - First 2 Phases

Hello Everyone!

I have seen a few threads here go sideways - so here is my disclaimer;
    I am new to the platform, but not to firearms. I have been reading and learning about the various base model options out there and keeping my eyes open for smoking deal (with an open mind) and a decent budget to work with. I decided I wanted to buy something as a good base platform and do some modifications over the course of time, as it is fun for me. Having said all of that, I respect your opinions and value them, and don't take the commentary on this or any other forum personally. We all have our own preferences and make decisions based on factors we ourselves determine. With that out of the way...

I came across a very good deal on a lightly used (seemingly a safe queen by all accounts) SIG M400 SRP at the right price. Rifle came as seen below (less the Reflex Sight):
    sig new.jpg
    As purchased, I received the Sig M400 SRP, 6 USGI Mags, and MBUS poly sights on the rails (front was on the gas block, an interesting choice by the original owner). Aesthetically the rifle was pristine, and was given the white glove clean inside and out. I added the PMAG.

Phases 1&2 ran together over about 2 weeks (based on what arrived and when) and consisted of the following modifications/additions:
    -MFT 7" Keymod drop-in Carbine Stock
    -MFT Minimalist Adjustable Stock
    -2x MFT QD points
    -BCM A2 Mod 2 Grip
    -BCM Stubby VG-S
    -Magpul Trigger Guard
    -BAD-ASS Ambi Safety
    -Replaced MBUS poly front with MBUS Pro on the gas block (poly rear MBUS remains for now)
    -Radian Raptor Ambi Charging Handle
    -Magpul MS4 Sling

I know the Sight Mark Ultrashot M-Spec will likely garner some criticism, and I am fine with that. I just moved form Colorado and am in a new place, with a new puppy, etc. so I wanted something that would hold zero for now and I can replace later when we are more settled and have more $ hanging around...so for now I actually like it. I had it side-by-side with an EOTech, and while not quite on that level, it looks like it will hold its own at the range, and if I get into a bad spot at home, it will be fine. It is co-witnessed with the irons to 50 yards and after 500 rounds is holding zero like a champ.

Here is the rifle now:
    Sig modded.jpg

I have some plans for the future, though they are not 100% clear yet. I want to enjoy the rifle as-is for now and see where it takes me. Sight as mentioned previously will follow (perhaps with a magnifier), and likely a Giselle or similar trigger. Immediate future involves a light, and I will gladly take recommendations there - something for close range/indoor use and ease of use. I am not too concerned with a fancy pressure switch, but am open to it.

Thanks all for your opinions and commentary! I love to modify/tinker with lots of things (cars, weapons, lego sets....)...anything with endless bounds of minute details to research and get lost in appeals to me...so looks like I landed on a great platform (I have had dozens of 1911s over the years and I have the same problem with those....).

-Cheers-
    Last edited by tgoldie00; 07-27-17 at 18:30.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Welcome to the forum. Check the equipment exchange on a regular basis for a used light from a forum member with solid feedback is a start.
    State your budget with the light or what you might have in mind? This would help myself and others get you pointed the right direction.
    Here are my thoughts...... you don't have much rail space available so a compact light would get my vote. I have multiple arisaka 300 series scout lights and am very happy with them, and the fact that they are half the price of the surefires is certainly helpful and likely so in your case. You may want to look at the streamlight protacs as they are getting some pretty solid reviews and offer more switch options than the surefire/arisaka series at a cheaper price.
    arisakadefense.com
    Mount options are endless for these but anything other than that, even a pistol oriented WML will surely eat up grip space on your rail which is a premium with your limited space.
    Be mindful you may want to move one of those QD attachment points out of the way or off the rail entirely if not needed. Again they eat up space and just add weight.
    Last edited by MJLman; 07-27-17 at 21:40.
    Long-term consistency trumps short-term intensity.
    Bruce Lee

Feedback Score
    Many thanks for the advice. I should also mention I am a lefty, so those QDs are on the right side for me, so to speak. However, space is certainly at a premium as you mentioned, and given the low price of purchasing two, I am deciding which point I like more for the 2 point sling (and haven't come to a firm conclusion yet). I am leaning on the forward point, because if I want to get some extra sling tension for more accurate shooting, I can get my forward hand over it and apply that against the guard without tinkering with the sling itself. Either way, they sit pretty flat. I grip forward of the vert and back the heel of my palm against it, using it essentially as an angled foregrip most of the time and that seems to be comfortable for me at the moment.

The only other thing I have noticed is that the guard can get quite hot (understandably since it has no shielding). Nothing a pair of gloves didn't solve. To be fair, I tested intentionally by racking about 100 rds in rapid succession to see what it took to get it to heat up uncomfortably.
    Last edited by tgoldie00; 07-28-17 at 05:07.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Looks good! I had my eye on a M400 for a while but never picked it up. It's your gun, run it the way you like it!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Welcome to the forums. Please read the following sticky to find out why your thread is in the wrong place-
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...Build-AR-Forum

Shooting your rifle more is a good plan!
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-28-17 at 09:22.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American