Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear defense pistols practical shooting test

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyyder View Post
    Great information Alaskapopo. A bit of a drift, but for 10mm, what off the shelf loads would you recommend for bear/backcountry out of a G20?
    I'm not Alaskapopo, but from my research, buffalo bore or underwood ammo seem like the best options. Stick with hard cast, FMJ, or the extreme penetrators.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    I'm not Alaskapopo, but from my research, buffalo bore or underwood ammo seem like the best options. Stick with hard cast, FMJ, or the extreme penetrators.
    I have had 100 percent functional reliability with the Underwood loading of the Lehigh Extreme penetrator bullet in multiple calibers and platforms. The hard cast loads have been all over the map in terms of reliability, and that is what led me to the USP and Super ammo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This target is similar to what Gunsite uses in their backcountry course, although their circle depicting a brain shot basically is a triangle from the mouth to the two eyes.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I like that target
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Summary for me the Glock 20 is my preferred choice because I shoot it much better under stress as was illustrated in this drill. I know it has enough penetration to make it through a bear skull. I also like the Mountain Gun but it was harder to shoot and I don’t trust it as much due to that fact. In fairness, I shoot Glocks and semi autos in general far more than I shoot my revolvers. If you are a diehard revolver shooter you may disagree. One thing I will say is that I do not recommend a single action revolver for any sort of defensive work. They are fun guns to shoot but not nearly fast enough if a bear charges. Take my opinion for what it’s worth just another guy on the internet. No matter what choice you make in a sidearm make sure you train with it. Having a gun is not nearly enough. You need to be proficient with it. A gun is a liability if you are not proficient with it and willing to use it.
    What load would you carry for that role? Maybe I missed it. I'd expect full power 10mm with the right load would penetrate as you said, but I'd also expect using modern JHP made for humans would be a bad idea. Some hard cast hunting rnd?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I agree with that. Despite loving a Bowen tuned four inch .44 Blackhawk for pure shooting, at Gunsite during their bear course, I became a convert to the DA N frame as being better for bear fighting as opposed to shooting. Later, I gravitated to the semi auto handgun, as it matched up with my training, and I can shoot it so much better on drills like you set up. I ended up, after a long path, that started Glock, and went thru Gen 3 S&W pistols, to the HK USP with .45 Super ammo.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm interested in hearing more about the Gunsite class info. Been to several 250 and 350 classes myself.

I am specifically curious about any caliber or a firearm recommendations they had and also curious what the firearms brought by the students were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I use handloads with a 200 grain Montana Gold FMJ for my bear protection loads. Your right JHP's are to be avoided for this role.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm interested in hearing more about the Gunsite class info. Been to several 250 and 350 classes myself.

I am specifically curious about any caliber or a firearm recommendations they had and also curious what the firearms brought by the students were.

Sure, I am referring to the Gunsite Backcountry course. It was originally designed for Alaska field workers, out around grizzly bears. It also covers cougars and black bears, but the primary focus is grizzly bears. It was a week long, and I took it twice. First, Steve Slawson was lead, and I believe Il Ling New, the second time. Lots of scenarios, moving targets, mostly using Gunsite's bear target (focused on the upper CNS).

The first time, I took a bunch of long guns and handguns, to test out different stuff. Included lever guns, .375 and .458 Lott bolt guns, Bowen Blackhawk, Redhawk and various N frames. Second time, I just brought what Steve Slawson told me was the "school solution" to these problems. The Gunsite school solution for a long gun is a shotgun or .45-70 class lever gun, and for handguns, an N frame Smith (.44 Magnum or .45 LC).

Subsequently, I migrated to the semi-auto handgun instead of an N frame, as I was putting in so much training with pistols.

Feedback Score
    Thanks GJM! I appreciate the info!

Feedback Score
    Great article!!!

I love my S&W PC 629, but this article has me re-thinking my woods carry.

I don't own a 10mm, but I do have a .357 Sig that I'm darn good with as it was my duty caliber for years before I got out of the LEO field.

Hmmmm... A few rounds of .44 Mag, or 6-12 rounds of .357 Sig that I can pump out much faster. I definitely wouldn't go any lighter than that.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast