Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crimp effect...

Feedback Score
    I do polish my expanders and even will chuck up a piece of 500 grit Emory cloth in a drill and give the inside of the sizing die a quick polish when I first get one. I had a Lee die once that would leave terrible scratches on the outside of the neck portion of the cases and that was the fix. I will say I've never had that issue with my Redding dies but they are a bit more money.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That pic is a reminder to me of why I have used very little in the way of RCBS tooling. So much of it is just not well made.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I agree Ned. Been buying Redding dies for awhile, they seem much nicer.

Feedback Score
    I noticed a drastic improvement in S.D. using the lee factory crimp die vs uncrimped when I was loading for a 6.8 SPC a couple years ago. I don't have my notes, but I want to say it went from low 20's to low teens. I was using a standard redding FL size die and seating die combination. Both were 10 shot strings, it's a pretty small sample size. I never did any testing with my .223 reloads as I'm a lazy turd and running a bunch of rounds through an extra step sounds like work.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaswoodguy View Post
    I do polish my expanders and even will chuck up a piece of 500 grit Emory cloth in a drill and give the inside of the sizing die a quick polish when I first get one. I had a Lee die once that would leave terrible scratches on the outside of the neck portion of the cases and that was the fix. I will say I've never had that issue with my Redding dies but they are a bit more money.
    Expander balls are brutal on necks. I don't use them for any caliber. Polishing them probably helps. I run a neck expander so I don't get the case stretch and excessive neck run-out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12