Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the 1911, info wanted

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I think that shit gets way over hyped. I have 3k through my CRG and it has yet to need any spring replacement. It runs dirty as shit too. At some point, some maintenance will be required, but many people talk like you can't use a 1911 if you don't know how to gunsmith it. I've never done anything more than field stripped mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If it's an armscor, as loose as they are yeah you can probably get away with it. Something as tight as my Wilson combat, I prefer to completely disassemble it every 1000 rounds, oil everything and KNOW it's in fighting condition. They ain't glocks, they take a little bit of tlc.

Have you even checked to see what your current recoil spring length is as compared to a new spring? Springs are cheap insurance from beating frames and slides up. But you run it how you want, makes me no nevermind

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubet; 08-09-17 at 11:18.

Feedback Score
    Full tear down is worth knowin how to do, and not at all difficult.

External extractor pretty much eliminates need for spare extractor or tuning.

Modern production line guns generally run well and long out of the box. The plethora of mag choices is probably the most likely thing to make it choke, some are junk, some just don't agree with your gun, test before you heavily invest.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I think that shit gets way over hyped. I have 3k through my CRG and it has yet to need any spring replacement...
    Just because it'll run doesn't mean you aren't needlessly battering your slide with a weakening spring it takes all of $10 to replace. Guys who know and run the 1911 extensively didn't come up with recommended change intervals to amuse themselves.

Feedback Score
    My shooting experience goes to long before the Internet era in some serious competition areas and back in the 70's and 80's if a gun was running people were ( imo justifiable) reluctant to replace springs or at times even clean them. In this day and age I think the spring change and maintenance thing especially on 1911's is way over hyped as well. A gun I would have to replace springs in almost monthly in order to trust it to be reliable no thanks. I will break down and replace a recoil spring annually on my high use guns but the effect of this is more psychological than mechanical.
    I have tons of guns 60+ years old that have all original parts that are getting along just fine

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I think that shit gets way over hyped. I have 3k through my CRG and it has yet to need any spring replacement. It runs dirty as shit too. At some point, some maintenance will be required, but many people talk like you can't use a 1911 if you don't know how to gunsmith it. I've never done anything more than field stripped mine.

Picking a quality 1911 like the CRG makes that a lot easier. Still, you're running a steel on steel gun and the frame doesn't flex like a polymer gun does. At 3K, recoil spring replacement just makes sense. If you run an Aimpoint Micro on your carbine and the battery will run for 5 years, are you really out all that much to replace it every year?

To the OP, external 1911 extractors are controversial for two reasons. Purists don't like it and several early makes and models didn't do them well. S&W did it correctly, so no worries there.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    My shooting experience goes to long before the Internet era in some serious competition areas and back in the 70's and 80's if a gun was running people were ( imo justifiable) reluctant to replace springs or at times even clean them. In this day and age I think the spring change and maintenance thing especially on 1911's is way over hyped as well. A gun I would have to replace springs in almost monthly in order to trust it to be reliable no thanks. I will break down and replace a recoil spring annually on my high use guns but the effect of this is more psychological than mechanical.
    I have tons of guns 60+ years old that have all original parts that are getting along just fine
    Agreed brother !!! Springs take a bit of a "set" & then maintain for a long time !! Were the springs better built back in the 1920's & 30's ??

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Picking a quality 1911 like the CRG makes that a lot easier. Still, you're running a steel on steel gun and the frame doesn't flex like a polymer gun does. At 3K, recoil spring replacement just makes sense. If you run an Aimpoint Micro on your carbine and the battery will run for 5 years, are you really out all that much to replace it every year?
    No, but I'm just saying that to a new guy reading a lot of stuff online, many people make it sound like you have to be able to do all kinds of technical shit to enjoy your 1911. My point is that a lot of that is over blown and you don't need a 100 page manual and all sorts of tools. The recoil spring is also the easiest thing to replace on that gun so my statement was kind of encompassing it if that makes sense.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    No, but I'm just saying that to a new guy reading a lot of stuff online, many people make it sound like you have to be able to do all kinds of technical shit to enjoy your 1911. My point is that a lot of that is over blown and you don't need a 100 page manual and all sorts of tools. The recoil spring is also the easiest thing to replace on that gun so my statement was kind of encompassing it if that makes sense.

Ahh, got it! Like I said, buying quality up front makes 1911 ownership a lot more pleasant and maintenance free!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Ahh, got it! Like I said, buying quality up front makes 1911 ownership a lot more pleasant and maintenance free!
    That is a very good point. And you'll definitely pay for a quality one.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    My first 1911 (i still have it) was a Smith and Wesson Doug Koenig and it has been great but I have replaced springs and cleaned it as necessary. I only use Wilson Combat mags with that being said I have great success with Colts as well with the same recipe of good mags and ammo.
    Semper Fi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12