Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts/opinions on my groups?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I'm a pretty down to earth individual so I am always appreciative of advice, even if it is something I know as it takes time out of your day to respond. I have been working on being consistent with my breathing and breaking the shot at the correct time recently. The focusing on the cross hair is something I can try. I think I tend to focus more on the target. I try to be consistent in my loading but did not have the chrony with me that day. I find that quite often, I am 4 shots in a cluster with a flyer. Could just be a concentration thing also.
    Vegas, as pointed out, you have vertical stringing and horizontal stringing on your targets. Since it is is "preset" parallax, there isn't much what you can do, but at least check it if you reticle isn't "floating" from that 100yds line.
    Also, vertical stringing could be related to breathing...
    As for horizontal stringing, i'm assuming wind isn't issue, it could be worth to check your scope mount to make sure nothing moves around...
    Best Regards
    Rob Ski
    AK Operators Union, Local 47-74

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ski View Post
    Vegas, as pointed out, you have vertical stringing and horizontal stringing on your targets. Since it is is "preset" parallax, there isn't much what you can do, but at least check it if you reticle isn't "floating" from that 100yds line.
    Also, vertical stringing could be related to breathing...
    As for horizontal stringing, i'm assuming wind isn't issue, it could be worth to check your scope mount to make sure nothing moves around...
    Thanks for the input Rob Ski.

Remounted a different scope (a Bushnell 2.5-10 with side focus) and went out again. Wind wasn't a factor in the targets above but was windy for the next range visit, 20-25 mph winds. Taking all of the advice in this thread into account, my dispersion was horizontal apart from one flyer that ruined a decent group (story of everyone's life right?). So need to get back out in better wind conditions to eliminate the wind from the equation. One piece of advice that really helped was taking my eye off of the reticle to aid with eye fatigue. Once I get better at consistently having the right elements of technique throughout the string, I want to start trying to replicate my groups (in MOA) at 300-600 yards.

Feedback Score
    What amount of crimp do you put on yours? Mine do best with .001-.002 of crimp using the Lee FCD. That extra amount of control does make a big difference in closing up groups, at very least in my experience with the 75gr Hornady like you use.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I don't crimp at this time.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 17:20.

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that the type of rear bag you're using makes a difference. My groups shrink considerably going from my light bag to a heavy leather bag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12