Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What 9mm barrel to use?

Feedback Score

What 9mm barrel to use?

I bought a PSA upper and lower for a Glock mag AR-9. After 5 trips to the range and 4 case separations and 1 bullet left stuck in the lands when unchambering, I'm ready to punt and get a barrel with a looser chamber. Who makes barrels that are more tolerant of various 9mm cartridges? Mine are reloads that work in 5 different 9mm pistols, but not in the AR.

I'm looking for an inexpensive solution.

Also, would taking it to a gunsmith for a re-reaming be cheaper than buying a new barrel?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, they work in pistols, but have you checked them against a gauge like a Forster or Wilson case gauge?

Where you are with this now, I'd 'spin' the chamber, i.e., copper brush on rod, chucked up in a cordless drill & liberal good oil applied ... have at it w/ the drill. This is often done for other blowback firearms.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I've run the reloads through a Lee Factory Crimp Die then dropped them in a gauge. Did a sampling - not all. But the sampling all passed.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've used Spinta and Faxon barrels without issues.

Feedback Score
    I saw a video of Kaw Valley barrels and the guy said they were very tight - and they either make Faxon or are made by Faxon, so that concerns me. Do you run reloads or factory? Does the Spinta seem looser than the Faxon?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Now that you mention it, it's a Kaw Valley not Faxon. But I think they're one in the same. I did have issues with powder coated Lee 356-125-2R cast bullets. However I also had issues with those in my semi auto pistols so I wasn't that worried. I loaded 1000rds of plated 115gr and never had a problem. Also no issues with mil issued 9mm ammo.

Spinta was built for a friend, I asked him how it was going and he didn't have any issues. He's a huge reloader so I suspect all his rounds were reloads as well.

What bullets are you using?

I'd check for setback. I was experiencing that with those 356-125-2R Boolits.

Feedback Score
    I'm loading round nose 115gr. Blue Bullets (they size to .355"). I figured maybe the ogive was hitting the lands early, so I tried some 124gr. TC Blue Bullets. Very first shot with the TC resulted in a case separation, so it must be the case sizing. As a previous poster suggested, I want to try buffing the chamber. Only problem is I can't get the separated case out of the chamber (did I mention it is a very tight chamber )

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ballistic Advantage makes some nice ones as well...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin338 View Post
    Ballistic Advantage makes some nice ones as well...
    Do you shoot reloads through yours?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What length are we talking here? I currently have the new 4.5" Ballistic Advantages for a build and the 8" CMMG. I bought the 8" CMMG upper used off here and the previous owner said it was good to go, and that echos what others have said. I generally think Ballistic Advantage and Faxon offer the best value on 9MM barrels, but I also know CMMG and several others have been around a long time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast