Thread: Risk of deficiencies in the US (Study)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Risk of deficiencies in the US (Study)

An interesting and useful paper showing both kids and adults at risk for various nutrient deficiencies in the US. When I was taking nutrition courses back in the day we'd all be told other than a few key demographics (e.g., infants, etc) American's were at low (they indicated non existent) risk of deficiencies due to foods being fortified and the classic "...and multi vitamins just cause expensive urine." Of course when you step out of academia, see people, work with people, read blood tests, etc, you quickly learn various nutrient deficiencies far more common than realized, and while nutrition is the essential component to the problem, a good multi vite is money well spent and one of the more cost effective and way to address much of it and the study found those not taking supplements at highest risk of deficiency. Who would thunked it?!

Risk of Deficiency in Multiple Concurrent Micronutrients in Children and Adults in the United States

Abstract

Certain population sub-groups in the United States are vulnerable to micronutrient malnutrition. Nationally representative data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) describing the biochemical status of vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, E, folate, and anemia, were aggregated to determine the overall risk of multiple concurrent deficiencies in U.S. children and adults (n = 15,030) aged >9 years. The prevalence of deficiency risk according to socio-demographic, life-stage, dietary supplement use, and dietary adequacy categories was investigated.

Thirty-one percent of the U.S. population was at risk of at least one vitamin deficiency or anemia, with 23%, 6.3%, and 1.7% of the U.S. population at risk of deficiency in 1, 2, or 3–5 vitamins or anemia, respectively. A significantly higher deficiency risk was seen in women (37%), non-Hispanic blacks (55%), individuals from low income households (40%), or without a high school diploma (42%), and underweight (42%) or obese individuals (39%). A deficiency risk was most common in women 19–50 years (41%), and pregnant or breastfeeding women (47%).

Dietary supplement non-users had the highest risk of any deficiency (40%), compared to users of full-spectrum multivitamin-multimineral supplements (14%) and other dietary supplement users (28%). Individuals consuming an adequate diet based on the Estimated Average Requirement had a lower risk of any deficiency (16%) than those with an inadequate diet (57%). Nearly one-third of the U.S. population is at risk of deficiency in at least one vitamin, or has anemia

Full Paper:

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/9/7/655
    Last edited by WillBrink; 07-31-17 at 09:53.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Great post, Will. Due to a lot of stressors recently, I have been feeling run down, foggy and unable to sleep well. After reading a broad range of topics on general health I decided to start with the basics: I chose to supplement with a B complex, D3 and magnesium. I feel better after just a few days. Looking back over the past few months I see just how quickly things can get unbalanced in terms of proper diet, exercise and nutrition with just a small change in habits.

Feedback Score
    A lot of people have jumped on the train that multivitamins are pointless or bad for you, just so they have one less thing to worry about. The reality is that most people do not have a varied and balanced diet and can benefit from these.

It's important to buy quality supplements, though, and not the cheapest costco multivitamin. You get what you pay for, some of these have impurities and the cheapest forms of minerals and vitamins.

Feedback Score
    My wife suffers from a variety of ailments - all of which improved when she started taking collagen. Collagen is something your body uses vitamin D to make, and we take D supplements - yet the improvement was palpable. People today are unlike to eat broths made by cooking bones, just like they are unlikely to eat whole grains and brightly colored fresh vegetables.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    An interesting and useful paper showing both kids and adults at risk for various nutrient deficiencies in the US. When I was taking nutrition courses back in the day we'd all be told other than a few key demographics (e.g., infants, etc) American's were at low (they indicated non existent) risk of deficiencies due to foods being fortified and the classic "...and multi vitamins just cause expensive urine." Of course when you step out of academia, see people, work with people, read blood tests, etc, you quickly learn various nutrient deficiencies far more common than realized, and while nutrition is the essential component to the problem, a good multi vite is money well spent and one of the more cost effective and way to address much of it and the study found those not taking supplements at highest risk of deficiency. Who would thunked it?!

Risk of Deficiency in Multiple Concurrent Micronutrients in Children and Adults in the United States

Abstract

Certain population sub-groups in the United States are vulnerable to micronutrient malnutrition. Nationally representative data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) describing the biochemical status of vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D, E, folate, and anemia, were aggregated to determine the overall risk of multiple concurrent deficiencies in U.S. children and adults (n = 15,030) aged >9 years. The prevalence of deficiency risk according to socio-demographic, life-stage, dietary supplement use, and dietary adequacy categories was investigated.

Thirty-one percent of the U.S. population was at risk of at least one vitamin deficiency or anemia, with 23%, 6.3%, and 1.7% of the U.S. population at risk of deficiency in 1, 2, or 3–5 vitamins or anemia, respectively. A significantly higher deficiency risk was seen in women (37%), non-Hispanic blacks (55%), individuals from low income households (40%), or without a high school diploma (42%), and underweight (42%) or obese individuals (39%). A deficiency risk was most common in women 19–50 years (41%), and pregnant or breastfeeding women (47%).

Dietary supplement non-users had the highest risk of any deficiency (40%), compared to users of full-spectrum multivitamin-multimineral supplements (14%) and other dietary supplement users (28%). Individuals consuming an adequate diet based on the Estimated Average Requirement had a lower risk of any deficiency (16%) than those with an inadequate diet (57%). Nearly one-third of the U.S. population is at risk of deficiency in at least one vitamin, or has anemia

Full Paper:

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/9/7/655
    I have been thinking about this recently. Been working so late and can only get 6hrs of sleep a day. (i know, it's ridiculous) .and lately, i feel so tired even when I'm not doing anything. I can't say I am a healthy eater too since I'm always on the go, I will need a food that I can buy and just eat on the way. Thanks for reminding though!!!

Feedback Score
    Interesting. Although considering our diets not exactly surprising. My question is how could someone tell exactly what nutrients they are lacking? The reason I ask is because most supplants I have tried give me headaches, including multivitamins. Hair test blood test?

Wasn't it Joel D Wallach theory that many people died before there time because of mineral deficiencies?
    Last edited by Pikey; 09-08-17 at 20:25.