Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Relationship Between Suppressors and Barrel Length - 10.3"/11.5"

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Shooting QD cans that cost less with the same/better performance and don't get stuck on the mount.
    Everyone has their opinions so, fair enough. What cans do you personally like better or would choose over a RC for a hard use 11.5 SBR? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    I have both Surefire and Silencer Company cans. If I add more they will be Silencer Company.
    Because of modularity?
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Best way to approach this is to not expect anything to be hearing safe on an SBR and isolate what your number one priorities are. In my case, keeping my short, light, reliable guns as short, light, and reliable as possible even with a can on was my #1 priority, in other words, size, weight and backpressure. Considering even a 9" long, 27oz. suppressor probably wasn't going to be hearing safe on my rigs and would create a ton of backpressure, I went the opposite direction and ordered a Sandman-K. I was also considering a Rugged Razor or a Socom 7.62 Mini 2, but I chose the Dead Air can over the others for a large number of reasons.

As for 10.5" vs, 11.5" - I have both, and like both. They sound the same unsuppressed and I anticipate it will be about the same even with the can on there. I haven't seen a reliability advantage of one over the other. 11.5" is theoretically more reliable due to increased dwell time, but mine both run like a sewing machine so... whatever. To me, a 10" rail is just about perfect for my arm length and the way I shoot, so the 11.5" upper just "feels right" in my hands. The 9.25" rail on my 10.5" just seems a little short. You wouldn't think about a 3/4" longer rail making any difference, but it does (to me). There is a 100-150fps velocity advantage for the 11.5" which will also translate to lower pressures for the can to deal with, potentially increasing service life. But realistically, I will probably never shoot out my can. My 11.5" runs a little smoother than my 10.5", but we're talking about a factory BCM upper vs. a homebrewed upper with a Faxon barrel that is slightly overgassed.

In a perfect world, I think a 12.5" barrel is probably as close to perfect as it gets in terms of reliability / muzzle velocity / size, but it's also getting up there to where you'll begin to notice a compromise in maneuverability vs. a 10.5" (especially with a can on it) and it's almost not worth SBRing any more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BooneGA View Post
    Ive shot thousands of rounds of 5.56 suppressed without ear pro and my hearing hasn't been effected at all (per annual army testing).

Rick
    Just as a datapoint, I've shot hundreds of rounds unsuppressed (7.62x39) without ear pro and have no detectable hearing damage 12 years later.

I now wear double ear pro and recommend the same of others, (single for suppressed). Another person can shoot 1 round and have instant damage. You just don't know sometimes.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-01-17 at 17:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have both Surefire and Silencer Company cans. If I add more they will be Silencer Company.
    I have two Silencerco cans and one surefire. If I pick up another, it will be a surefire based on quality of engineering. I am impressed by the Omega can and its compactness, but the surefire mounting systems/flash hiders are far superior.

Rick

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Sound suppression is very important for me. The Sico Sakers in my collection reduce db levels more effectively than the Surefire units. Both the Sico and Surefire units that I own are very high quality and both at one time or another were difficult to remove due to carbon buildup after a long range session of 600-800 rounds. The stellite blast baffle in the Sakers show zero erosion after 8000+ rounds. The Surefires with the same round counts show some erosion.

For me, The Sico offerings better fit my needs in both performance and cost. YMMV
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 08-03-17 at 10:35.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Since you listed sound suppression #1, you want a full-size suppresser on an 11.5" upper. If you want to leave yourself more options, get a 6-7" 7.62 suppressor with the ability to change the end cap.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    Similar debate myself recently... Sandman-K or S, mini2, RC2 for the 12.5" I purchased from Jw.

Ended up ordering the Sandman-K. If it doesn't work out, I'll throw it on my 14.5" and pick up one of the others.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcalvert86 View Post
    Similar debate myself recently... Sandman-K or S, mini2, RC2 for the 12.5" I purchased from Jw.

Ended up ordering the Sandman-K. If it doesn't work out, I'll throw it on my 14.5" and pick up one of the others.
    I think you will be happy with that can. The little time I have spent behind one, I was impressed. Also impressed with the Rugged offerings if you every get a chance to get behind them.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 08-02-17 at 21:45.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Some of the Dead Air folks came from Sico. Dead Air also uses stellite for baffles and they manufacture quality units. A 7.62 suppressor will never perform as well as a dedicated 5.56 suppressor on a 5.56 rifle, even with a 5.56 end cap but it does offer versatility across two caliber platforms.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    Some of the Dead Air folks came from Sico. Dead Air also uses stellite for baffles and they manufacture quality units. A 7.62 suppressor will never perform as well as a dedicated 5.56 suppressor on a 5.56 rifle, even with a 5.56 end cap but it does offer versatility across two caliber platforms.
    I shot my Omega for the first time a few weeks ago. Another benefit of using the 7.62 end cap is I didn't notice any gas to face.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast