Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Relationship Between Suppressors and Barrel Length - 10.3"/11.5"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    Sound suppression is very important for me. The Sico Sakers in my collection reduce db levels more effectively than the Surefire units. Both the Sico and Surefire units that I own are very high quality and both at one time or another were difficult to remove due to carbon buildup after a long range session of 600-800 rounds. The stellite blast baffle in the Sakers show zero erosion after 8000+ rounds. The Surefires with the same round counts show some erosion.

For me, The Sico offerings better fit my needs in both performance and cost. YMMV
    A good friend has a newer SF 556 full size can and I've shot it back to back with my SiCo Specwar 556. Mine is significantly quieter even then though his barrel is a 12.5" and mine is 11.5". Same day, same ammo. The model escapes me, but it's the current gen full size 556 QD SF can.

I could buy nearly two of my cans for the price of his one. With rugged and dead air, along with SiCo, I find it impossible to rec a SF can if value is even a part of the purchase decision.

Now the machining on the SF can was absolutely first rate and it is an excellent can. But, the value equation on it is relatively quite low compared to other very rugged offerings.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Sound suppression is not a high priority of SureFire cans. Their value is in their Mount/locking mechanism, POI shift, accuracy, blowback mitigation, and signature (flash etc.). If you are interested in sound suppression SF cans are probably not for you.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    A good friend has a newer SF 556 full size can and I've shot it back to back with my SiCo Specwar 556. Mine is significantly quieter even then though his barrel is a 12.5" and mine is 11.5". Same day, same ammo. The model escapes me, but it's the current gen full size 556 QD SF can.

I could buy nearly two of my cans for the price of his one. With rugged and dead air, along with SiCo, I find it impossible to rec a SF can if value is even a part of the purchase decision.

Now the machining on the SF can was absolutely first rate and it is an excellent can. But, the value equation on it is relatively quite low compared to other very rugged offerings.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Sound suppression is not a high priority of SureFire cans. Their value is in their Mount/locking mechanism, POI shift, accuracy, blowback mitigation, and signature (flash etc.). If you are interested in sound suppression SF cans are probably not for you.
    This, not to mention the RC/RC2 is 1" shorter than the pogo stick sized specwar & 2.5 oz lighter.

Maybe it's me, but I don't get guys who go out shooting cans side by side chasing a Db or two. At the end of the day there is no such thing as truly hearing safe 556 or 762, they will most definitely prevent a lot of hearing damage without ears, with ears it makes shooting rifle calibers comfortable. I've never shot a rifle with a can and focused on how it sounded.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Supposedly if you meter at the shooter's ear the Surefire cans will be quieter than others due to the reduced back pressure, resulting in less port noise. It'd be great if there was a decent comparison of this for some of the newer cans on the market. A lot of manufacturers claim reduced back pressure, like Dead Air and Griffin.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Of course the Specwar is an older legacy suppressor. The Saker ASR units are the current offerings. Shorter and lighter....

In regards to POI shift, my Sakers have a .75" MOA shift at 100 meters when used on both 14.5" and 18" rifles.
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 08-04-17 at 11:34.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)

Relationship Between Suppressors and Barrel Length - 10.3"/11.5"

Yes but the saker 556 was never rated as quiet as the specwar IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    Supposedly if you meter at the shooter's ear the Surefire cans will be quieter than others due to the reduced back pressure, resulting in less port noise. It'd be great if there was a decent comparison of this for some of the newer cans on the market. A lot of manufacturers claim reduced back pressure, like Dead Air and Griffin.
    You are correct. Sometimes cans with a higher DB rating at the muzzle will be quieter at the shooter's ear due to less gas coming back to the BCG.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Pappabear has a 10.3 colt with a sig titanium q.d. can that shoots like a dream and is quiet as any suppressed sbr I've shot.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The new Sig cans are phenomenal

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast