Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS FTE, doubling and help.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

LMT MWS FTE, doubling and help.

I have had my LMT MWS for several years now, purchased it second-hand from a member here who claims to have put ~1K rounds through it. It has been a very reliable and accurate rifle but has started to have some recurring issues recently. I need to get them sorted quickly as I am taking the rifle to a shooting competition the end of August and would like a reliable rifle.

I was shooting yesterday, 100 rounds of FGMM 168, and the gun failed to eject a round on 6 or 7 occasions. The spent brass would be wedged above the newly-fed round and facing outward. See below. The spend brass is wedged between the new round going into the chamber and the top of the receiver.

The other issue was that it double-fired with only one trigger pull on two occasions. This will call for a DQ so is the most important issue.

Current setup of the rifle includes a chopped 20" CL barrel to 16" for rifle-length gas system, the original (single ejector) BCG, Geissele SD-E trigger and standard H3 buffer with Sprinco Orange spring. I shoot the gun prone with SilencerCo Specwar 762 can and use an Atlas bipod with spiked feet so it doesn't move around on me.

I am guessing the carrier is moving too quickly and not giving the round enough time to eject (possibly). Thinking of going back to the OEM buffer spring or get a heavy buffer from Slash to remedy the situation. Not sure on the doubling issue. I have changed nothing on the Geissele unit.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
    Last edited by bnanaphone; 07-31-17 at 12:39.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Ditch the orange sprinco and go back to the LMT spring. The orange sprinco is designed for a 308 AR using a carbine receiver extension and short buffer. The LMT MWS uses the longer receiver extension (roughly A5 length) with standard length carbine buffers and a rifle length spring. The LMT spring also feels a bit heavier than the Armalite EA1095.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    I haven't used that spring for that either, but is the issue the same or similar when the can was omitted?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Are you runnng the factory LMT buffer tube?
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sounds like you already know where your problem lies.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Thanks for your input guys. I am definitely going back to the factory buffer spring, put it back in last night. I will say the Sprinco spring required significantly more force on the charging handle over the factory unit.

tom12.7, I did not try shooting without the can since the brake rattles my head on every shot & I only shoot it suppressed so I need to get it running right with the can on.

HK shootr, Yes.

I didn't know if the original bolt with single extractor could play any role here over the double extractor unit they use now.

Ironically, I have been shooting this rifle with the can for several years without issue. Even after I installed the new buffer spring, everything ran fine for a while. These are two new developments but are likely due to the stiffer spring and these rifles being over-gassed. I was hoping the rifle-length gas system would help it out there too.

I will report back once I take it out again.

Feedback Score
    I just realized that you are also in Saint Louis Missouri, PM me if you like.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I finally had a chance to shoot my rifle again to diagnose the issue. I went back to the OEM buffer spring and fired 10 rounds with the silencer attached, had 3 occurrences like in the OP. I removed the can and, fired 10 more rounds and it ran like a top with no issues. It never double fired on this outing. I know my 20 total rounds is miniscule but it was all I could do at this time.

I am thinking of trying out an XH buffer from heavybuffers.com to see what I can do about the problem while shooting suppressed.

Lastly, I have been shooting FGMM 168 exclusively for the past couple months and this is the exact time period my issues have started. I am wondering if that particular load is a bit hotter and speeding up the carrier with the can on.

There is more to come, I just wanted to update my OP.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 17:19.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Your doubling is probably just bump firing. Heavy recoil, light trigger, bipod, probably a looser hold on the rifle all contribute to bump fire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast