Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS FTE, doubling and help.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    bfoosh006, I will double-check the extractor spring, thanks. The LMT comes with an H3 buffer (all 3 tungsten weights) so I am maxed out on weight, as far as standard buffers go. I have contacted Clint and he recommends his HX 8.5 oz buffer so slow things down & I'll be ordering one shortly.

Todd.K, You are right. As tight as I try to hold things, I agree I am getting unintended bump firing with the load & 3.5 lb trigger. I just ordered & installed a Timney 4 lb unit for the AR10 to see if that changes things.

I will update as testing progresses. Heading out for a 2.5 day competition in WY and leaving the can at home. I hope to have positive news to report upon my return.

Feedback Score
    There are a couple of other things to look at. I agree about the extractor spring being suspect, but there are other suspect possibilities.
    The extractor and ejector work together, so there are other items to look at. A heavily worn extractor claw may not present the proper environment to the case for the ejector for best function. A degraded ejector spring and/or drag does not help this situation. Fouling within the the ejector that induces drag does not help this either. How smooth does the ejector operate? Is it lubed and function checked similar to how Lutz recommends?
    Much of this could be a hyper cycle issue due to the can. You really only want a cyclic rate only slightly higher with the can. Your best fix, in my opinion, is to select action masses and springs that result in only slight increase in rate dedicated to that can that are similar to the non suppressed timing events.
    Another item that I can not personally verify is that Federal changed the loadings somewhat for at least the GM308 168's. I have heard this from a few sources, and it is possible that the change is enough to make your issue worse due to the time vs pressure curves.
    It is entirely possible that your base platform ran well, even with some of the changes done, but more at the edge of function instead of span that tolerated the deviation more. When the issues occurred, it's very possible look at how well these can be more forgiving than some other options, as they are.
    Feel free to email me again if you like.

Feedback Score
    OP, I have had the same issue with failure to eject, with a can on the rifle (Surefire 7.62 SOCOM mini). My ejection pattern when it did cycle was at 1 o'clock. I was told by an SME that the BCG speed was too high with the use of the can. I had no FTE when shooting without the can on the gun. I emailed Clint as well and he suggested an XH buffer when using a can as the MWS is already over gassed and the suppressor makes it worse. I am shooting with the LMT SS 18" barrel. I will be ordering an XH buffer soon.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My apologies if this is a dumb question, but is there a reason why you haven't tried an adjustable gas block, such as one from SLR? It cured my 308's overgassing problems.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Heavy buffers are really only a bandaid for an over gassed situation. The issue with the MWS is that it has an angled gas port and different gas block so off the shelf adjustable gas blocks don't work.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    the slash heavy buffer/spring combo is what I would go to if was planning on running it suppressed. Neither mine or 2 of my buddies rifles would run with the can on.The lmt is pretty overgassed from the factory and adding that can is not helping at all.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    My apologies if this is a dumb question, but is there a reason why you haven't tried an adjustable gas block, such as one from SLR? It cured my 308's overgassing problems.
    The LMT MWS gas block is pressed into place with a hydraulic press, and is a proprietary size ( so I'm told, if not please inform, I would absolutely love to have an AGB on my MWS)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    The LMT MWS gas block is pressed into place with a hydraulic press, and is a proprietary size ( so I'm told, if not please inform, I would absolutely love to have an AGB on my MWS)
    yeah its pressed on because of the quick change barrel feature.Pretty sure there was a guy who made an adjustable gas block for his on one of the forums.I also know that marvin pitts at nefarious arms can swap the mws barrel extension onto a regular barrel blank if you wanted something they don't offer.At that point you could run an adjustable gas block on whatever barrel setup you wanted.

Feedback Score
    All, I have thought about using the Gemtech SBC group for the .308 but am unsure if it would work in the LMT MWS. I need to contact LMT first. I have a 5.56 gem tech SBC and it works as advertised. The .308 version is a little pricey so no sense in buying if it will cause even more problems.
    Last edited by duece71; 08-25-17 at 09:09. Reason: Spelling.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    Ok. I wondered if it might be something proprietary like that. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast