Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive Shotgun: Speed or Capacity?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Defensive Shotgun: Speed or Capacity?

I've been on the search for my first defense of shotgun but am having difficulty narrowing my choice between semi auto or pump. My dilemma is rate of fire (speed) versus capacity.

Now a choice between a high-quality semi auto or the old standbys (Mosberg 500 / Remington 870) is a easy choice for me-I'll go with the high-quality semi auto (Benelli M4, M2, Beretta 1301, Remington Versa Max, FNH SLP, etc.).

The defensive shotgun(s) that have me questioning the semi auto route are the duel tube modern bull-pup designs that hold 13+ 1 on board. (20+ With mini shells). I've been looking seriously at the Keltec KSG. 18 inch barrel in a 26 inch package with a 14 Shell capacity is pretty attractive option. Reloading is obviously a slower proposition than a standard pump...but 14 shells.....

So I'm curious to hear from members who use and train with defensive shotguns. When it comes to these types of weapons, what's most important to you between these two features; rate of fire or capacity? (Let's all agree that reliability is of the most importance). Would love to hear firsthand experience-pros/cons of the platforms I've listed above - and general opinions with rationale behind my primary question.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't have the time to go into really deep thoughts here, but will give a few thoughts and hopefully be able to expand on them later on.

First, my biggest concern would be reliability. With regular loads this shouldn't be too much of an issue, but with something like the mini shells I have seen them choke guns before so I'd want to vet the hell out of the gun I was using them with. I will also say, and this may not even apply to you, but I will mention it, I have also seen more than a few people cause malfs with shotguns, both pumps and autos because they don't shoot them enough, short stroking as well as just not holding a auto tight enough to cycle the action. Also I have found some auto loading shotguns to be a bit more finicky when left stored for a long while and then shot without lubing. Anecdotal, but worth mentioning since a lot of people buy a shotgun, or any gun really, shoot it a few times, load it up, stick it in the corner or the closet, let it set there for YEARS and expect it to work perfectly when they need it.

As far as bullpup shotguns, the KSG in particular, one of the things that could concern me with it being a pump, and I believe has been a slight issue, is when running the action the hand cycling it slipping and ending up in front of the muzzle. This is a concern that I have looking at them, and something that I would personally be considering. With the KSG as well, you have one tube, of 7 I believe, then you have to hit a lever with to change it over to the next. I'm not super convinced that it is something that is going to be natural unless you do train quite a bit to be able to do that, and it would be something I'd want to be able to do second nature since you might be doing that in the dark under a lot of stress.

Last point, not a huge fan of manual actions these days for HD, always have the thought that I might be responding to a threat in the back of my head and end up behind the eight ball and have to engage the threat after being wounded with one arm, a pump makes that a bit of a bitch. It is a thought. Also, for the sake of clarity, I don't run a shotgun for HD, have pistols and ARs. I do want to set up a 870 though, just for shits and giggles to play with though.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Anecdotal, but worth mentioning since a lot of people buy a shotgun, or any gun really, shoot it a few times, load it up, stick it in the corner or the closet, let it set there for YEARS and expect it to work perfectly when they need it.
    That practice needs to die away with the dodo. IMMEDIATELY AND IN TOTAL. I worked in a couple of gun shops over the course of a few years and that was my #1 pet peeve. So your life depends on something in a very chaotic, unplanned, random and erratic occurrence and you want something you barely know to be a critical tool for saving you and your family? Sure as hell isn't responsible I'll say that much. What other decisions does a person with any modicum of intelligence make in this fashion?

Use something you're going to enjoy shooting and getting good with. If it has to be any form of shotgun at all I'd say either a Benelli or Stoeger in a a 3 gun ready configuration. Simple operating system, easy to clean, few to no quirks, proven to run fast. Pumps simply suck to run fast frequently, which you will want to do to get sufficiently proficient. You say you don't do 3 gun matches, but there is absolutely nothing better than that to inform you about what works best in your hands when running fast and hard which is what you want a gun for this task to be able to do. In fact, not only is there nothing better, there's probably not much of anything else that's really even adequate by comparison.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 08-20-17 at 22:40.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    After going back and forth for several months I decided on the Beretta 1301. (Speed won the argument from my perspective). That's the "canvas". Now for the modifications...First thing going on this gun is an aftermarket latch shroud to avoid the "notorious" double feed issue. Tube extension from Nordic is a must. Not sure which light I want to use...most likely will need a pressure switch since the Nordic picatinny rail is so far forward. (Light set up suggestions welcome). Also considering an Adrius Industries Aimpoint Micro "CROM". Lots of disagreements with regard to the usefulness of an RDS on a shotty on the various gun forums. My thought is if it gives me any advantage in a fight for my life it's worth the cost. Looking forward to having it in my ideal configuration.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I was in a shotgun class yesterday, and there were four Beretta 1301's out of 14 shooters.

They all ran very well (except one shooter at first), and mine was stupid accurate with Federal Flite-Control #1 buck, or Brenneke Home Defense slugs. Those are my preferred loads, and the 1301 gobbled them down like Jabba the Hut at a Chinese buffet.

The shooter with an issue ran the very lightest load he could find, which was 7/8 ounce loads of number 8 shot. I gave him some Winchester 1 & 1/8 ounce loads with 7.5 shot, and it immediate ran like a champ.

Kraken - Just something to remember when you buy practice ammo.

And the CROM is a solid piece of gear.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info and input. I did pick up some federal premium 2 3/4 00 buck "personal defense" with flight control wad, federal premium "vital shok" 34 pellet 4 buck, and federal power shok 2 3/4 00 buck. Going to play with it. I'll take your advice and check out the Federal flight control #1 Buck. Good times.
    Last edited by Kraken; 08-29-17 at 00:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not even close for me. Take the semi auto all day. Typical home defense shotgun shootings require 1-2 rounds, with the highest that's been seen at 3 (if i remember correctly... petty sure it was Tom Givens who did that research). Running a 1301 with 7 or 8 rounds in the gun and 6 on the side will be plenty for most reasonable and realistic options.

Using a good semi takes a lot of effort out, in a good way. One of the biggest issues with pumps is short stroking, and the KSG is ESPECIALLY bad with that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, ASA, and other fun shotgun things.

Feedback Score
    I think it has a lot to do with your experience level. While a shotgun would not be my choice for HD, if I had to pick one it would be something from the Mossberg 590 series because I'm familiar with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Pricey, but this gives you both options http://www.benellile.com/m3-converti...o-pump-shotgun
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Bring back the street sweeper.

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast