Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Shotgun: Speed or Capacity?

Feedback Score
    Speed and capacity: Beretta 1301 with a two shot Nordic extension. Works for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Anecdotal, but worth mentioning since a lot of people buy a shotgun, or any gun really, shoot it a few times, load it up, stick it in the corner or the closet, let it set there for YEARS and expect it to work perfectly when they need it.
    That practice needs to die away with the dodo. IMMEDIATELY AND IN TOTAL. I worked in a couple of gun shops over the course of a few years and that was my #1 pet peeve. So your life depends on something in a very chaotic, unplanned, random and erratic occurrence and you want something you barely know to be a critical tool for saving you and your family? Sure as hell isn't responsible I'll say that much. What other decisions does a person with any modicum of intelligence make in this fashion?

Use something you're going to enjoy shooting and getting good with. If it has to be any form of shotgun at all I'd say either a Benelli or Stoeger in a a 3 gun ready configuration. Simple operating system, easy to clean, few to no quirks, proven to run fast. Pumps simply suck to run fast frequently, which you will want to do to get sufficiently proficient. You say you don't do 3 gun matches, but there is absolutely nothing better than that to inform you about what works best in your hands when running fast and hard which is what you want a gun for this task to be able to do. In fact, not only is there nothing better, there's probably not much of anything else that's really even adequate by comparison.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 08-20-17 at 22:40.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    After going back and forth for several months I decided on the Beretta 1301. (Speed won the argument from my perspective). That's the "canvas". Now for the modifications...First thing going on this gun is an aftermarket latch shroud to avoid the "notorious" double feed issue. Tube extension from Nordic is a must. Not sure which light I want to use...most likely will need a pressure switch since the Nordic picatinny rail is so far forward. (Light set up suggestions welcome). Also considering an Adrius Industries Aimpoint Micro "CROM". Lots of disagreements with regard to the usefulness of an RDS on a shotty on the various gun forums. My thought is if it gives me any advantage in a fight for my life it's worth the cost. Looking forward to having it in my ideal configuration.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I was in a shotgun class yesterday, and there were four Beretta 1301's out of 14 shooters.

They all ran very well (except one shooter at first), and mine was stupid accurate with Federal Flite-Control #1 buck, or Brenneke Home Defense slugs. Those are my preferred loads, and the 1301 gobbled them down like Jabba the Hut at a Chinese buffet.

The shooter with an issue ran the very lightest load he could find, which was 7/8 ounce loads of number 8 shot. I gave him some Winchester 1 & 1/8 ounce loads with 7.5 shot, and it immediate ran like a champ.

Kraken - Just something to remember when you buy practice ammo.

And the CROM is a solid piece of gear.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info and input. I did pick up some federal premium 2 3/4 00 buck "personal defense" with flight control wad, federal premium "vital shok" 34 pellet 4 buck, and federal power shok 2 3/4 00 buck. Going to play with it. I'll take your advice and check out the Federal flight control #1 Buck. Good times.
    Last edited by Kraken; 08-29-17 at 00:02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Years ago I was told by my Dad that a Police style Riot gun (pump shotgun) was best for HD. I believed it for a long time until someone made a very good argument why a compact semi-auto carbine is a better choice. Now, I realize that my Dad was wrong (maybe in his time it was true). Now, an AR and a 9mm sit next to me at night

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    Thanks for the info and input. I did pick up some federal premium 2 3/4 00 buck "personal defense" with flight control wad, federal premium "vital shok" 34 pellet 4 buck, and federal power shok 2 3/4 00 buck. Going to play with it. I'll take your advice and check out the Federal flight control #1 Buck. Good times.
    I like the #4 buck and 00 buck. But I still prefer the AR for capacity, reduced penetration, maneuverability, and reliable semi-auto operation.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Years ago I was told by my Dad that a Police style Riot gun (pump shotgun) was best for HD. I believed it for a long time until someone made a very good argument why a compact semi-auto carbine is a better choice. Now, I realize that my Dad was wrong (maybe in his time it was true). Now, an AR and a 9mm sit next to me at night
    Why is your Dad wrong? A 12 gauge against 1-3 unarmored assailants at close range is as good as it gets. Obviously your father is older, so pump guns were money back then. Now days we have semi-autos that are very reliable and I would pick them over the pump, but his point still stands, and the leading experts in the field of terminal ballistics agree with your father.

From a pure wound trauma standpoint on a shot against unarmored soft tissue, a close range hit from a 12 ga shotgun using buckshot will create more damage than any 5.56 mm projectile; it is for this reason that Dr. Fackler has expressed his preference for 12 ga buckshot over 5.56 mm for close range defensive use.
    -Gary K. Roberts
    In an indoors static defensive role against a single violent assailant who was advancing on me, a 12 ga. shotgun would be my first choice.
    -Gary K. Roberts

The AR/Carbine has its place, and it's a very large, broad place. However, in the confines of a home, against your typical situation (1-3 assailants), the shotgun still reins supreme. When people get shot with a shotgun, they stay shot (-Tom Givens). Shotguns are simply the most traumatic tool you can use, and when someone is in your home and they are there to cause you harm, you need to shut them down ASAP.
    Last edited by WS6; 08-29-17 at 03:14.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Why is your Dad wrong? A 12 gauge against 1-3 unarmored assailants at close range is as good as it gets. Obviously your father is older, so pump guns were money back then. Now days we have semi-autos that are very reliable and I would pick them over the pump, but his point still stands, and the leading experts in the field of terminal ballistics agree with your father.

-Gary K. Roberts
    -Gary K. Roberts

The AR/Carbine has its place, and it's a very large, broad place. However, in the confines of a home, against your typical situation (1-3 assailants), the shotgun still reins supreme. When people get shot with a shotgun, they stay shot (-Tom Givens). Shotguns are simply the most traumatic tool you can use, and when someone is in your home and they are there to cause you harm, you need to shut them down ASAP.
    Yup.
    In addition I opine at these close ranges a sub-machine gun or full-auto assault rifle would also be better than a semi-auto 5.56.

Feedback Score
    To OP, I think the 1301 was an excellent choice. It's the semi-auto shotgun I'd get if I wanted one.

And I may. I wish the sights were removable/changeable.

If it could be used for HD and shooting clays well it would be the only shotgun I'd ever need!
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-29-17 at 15:44.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast