Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Defensive Shotgun: Speed or Capacity?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    Speaking of shot shell deformation, has anyone here seen any documented evidence of shells deforming when kept in a partially loaded tubular magazine?
    Not sure about documented but last year I had an officer (Captain actually) come to me saying his shotgun was jammed and wouldn't feed. The issued Scatter gun Tech 870 had the 5 rounds in the tube and wouldn't budge. It had been riding in the vertical rack for who knows how long. The shells were so mushroomed I had to drive them out. Everybody is suppose to shoot up there ammo every 6 months. Some listen better than others. That is the worst deformation I have ever seen. Mostly I see mangled shells from being uploaded and downloaded every shift for 6+ months. Sitting in a safe, I doubt you will see any issues. David

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am a big fan of the Remington 870's of the past. I have fired thousands of rounds through them and believe they are a capable instrument of self defense. Are there other viable options? Certainly, but a pump action shotgun will serve someone who is willing to train quite well.

I'll part with something I share with my students: "efficiency trumps capacity."
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    Not sure about documented but last year I had an officer (Captain actually) come to me saying his shotgun was jammed and wouldn't feed. The issued Scatter gun Tech 870 had the 5 rounds in the tube and wouldn't budge. It had been riding in the vertical rack for who knows how long. The shells were so mushroomed I had to drive them out. Everybody is suppose to shoot up there ammo every 6 months. Some listen better than others. That is the worst deformation I have ever seen. Mostly I see mangled shells from being uploaded and downloaded every shift for 6+ months. Sitting in a safe, I doubt you will see any issues. David
    I've seen that too. I thought it was stupid for every officer each shift to have to check out a shotgun, load it and put it in the vehicle. Then at the end of the shift, remove shotgun, unload, and turn it. Shells were always coming open. It's completely stupid, no other word for it.

Feedback Score
    Skip the gimmicky bullpup or dual tube shotguns. Go with a standard configuration semi auto or pump that holds 6-8 +1. Run the piss out of it, learn to load it reliably first then fast and you should be set. The weapon is between your ears. The hardware isn't as important if you know what you're doing. I went 20" rifle sight 870 with a mag extension. Super cheap and not very sexy but I know that gun well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    I recommend you take a look at them. They are very reliable shotguns and can still be found under $1500 or less. I was lucky that I bought my S12 before it was banned. Although I still see the VEPR under $900 locally.

Reliability is very good with both guns. The VEPR 12 is considered slightly superior by those who use them. I have not had any issues with my Saiga12 though in the entire time I've owned it. It may have a 'break-in' period as some may report, but mine worked from day 1.

As far as magazines, they have 5rd, 10rd, 12rd, and drum mags available. The 5rd mag is perfect for HD. I use 10 and 12rd mags. Its not really bulky per se, its just a little long. But its nice to have 10+1 or more rounds available if speed and capacity is what you're after.

This is the S12 with a 5-rd mag. Not really that long

And 10rd (pic from google)
    thoughts on SKO'S boxed feed or just to new?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Another 870 guy.
    Have a 70's era Police model that's kept hot in the utility room gun safe.
    Also a fan of the old m37 Ithaca, although the lack of a disconnect gives many pause.
    Keep one at the ranch that's always close at hand.
    Both are old school and arguably antiquated, but they work for me.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567