Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BCG binding after firing PA-10

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Typical of what I have seen with their parts and assembly process.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    So much garbage.
    Why people still buy their crap is astonishing.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post

People are cheap.....
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Just to make things clear, 100% of the reason this build wasn't working was me using the wrong part. I'm not saying there isn't evidence out their to support your statement, but this one is all on me. I swapped the buffer to an H2, and called it a day. Works suppressed and unsuppressed.

Also this wasn't a PSA built upper. It's a stripped upper (and lower) from PSA, Faxon barrel, gas block and gas tube, MI rail, and Ballistic Advantage BCG. Personal experience being the only thing I can attest to; I've had good luck with all those companies.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So much garbage.
    you could say that. the gas tube clearance certainly needs to be rectified.

but I'm not seeing any critical errors like headspace issues or broken bolts or consistent failures to feed or extract, so you could also say that someone can buy an upper assembled from very good components cheaper than those components could be bought singly.

I mean since we're all experts here on the AR pattern, identifying and correcting the assembly deficiencies is child's play, right?..

the upper has a 416 Carpenter stainless barrel with birdcage flash-hider and good gas block securely attached, and 15"MLok rail with QD sockets at the rear. the 7075-T6, MIL-Spec hardcoat anodized receiver with forward assist has a BCG with MP bolt and funky firing pin retaining pin (that I will change) and charging handle. $399.99 shipped

I also ordered a 7075-T6, MIL-Spec hardcoat anodized lower with MIL-Spec diameter 6-position RE, Magpul MOE stock and grip, and PA EPT trigger (polished and nickel coated). $179.99 shipped + FFL.

say what you want, but for $580, with a couple known correctable issues, this is a great deal with very good components...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 17:09.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post
    This.... everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I did get a reasonable rifle and upper for a bargain price... I will be checking the headspace after the gauges come, just because..... and so far the issues were easily fixed and only cost me my time.

Yes, ( IMHO ) PSA needs to spend more time on proper parts and QC... but that same price was to hard to ignore for a .308 AR.
    yeah, I just want to make clear, I understand the focus and intent of this site and it is not on "hobby" guns. there's no way I would consider this a fighting rifle and I'm not trying to make that representation.

however, the gun itself is not garbage - the components are very passable - it is the assembly of these parts that needs scrutiny and correcting. if you, or anyone, is up to that task then you have the basis of a very good rifle. that and the ability to swap a couple parts could possibly bring it up into the area of a serious use rifle at roughly 1/3 the cost of premium offerings.

but let's not kid ourselves, anyone who does NOT have the ability to correct the problems should not get one of these for anything more critical than hunting, punching holes in paper, or ringing steel...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    you could say that. the gas tube clearance certainly needs to be rectified.

but I'm not seeing any critical errors like headspace issues or broken bolts or consistent failures to feed or extract, so you could also say that someone can buy an upper assembled from very good components cheaper than those components could be bought singly.

I mean since we're all experts here on the AR pattern, identifying and correcting the assembly deficiencies is child's play, right?..

the upper has a 416 Carpenter stainless barrel with birdcage flash-hider and good gas block securely attached, and 15"MLok rail with QD sockets at the rear. the 7075-T6, MIL-Spec hardcoat anodized receiver with forward assist has a BCG with MP bolt and funky firing pin retaining pin (that I will change) and charging handle. $399.99 shipped

I also ordered a 7075-T6, MIL-Spec hardcoat anodized lower with MIL-Spec diameter 6-position RE, Magpul MOE stock and grip, and PA EPT trigger (polished and nickel coated). $179.99 shipped + FFL.

say what you want, but for $580, with a couple known correctable issues, this is a great deal with very good components...
    Oh please, really?

I suppose everyone has an opinion, and a specific pain threshold. I have enough trouble trying to get high quality parts to meet my expectations. My experience with PSA parts a few years ago (during the panic) was SO bad that I wouldn't bother at any price except maybe free. Its just not worth the headache, and the flaws always bug.

I've purged every PSA part to the circular filing system except I have a PSA BCG I keep as a backup to a backup after I replaced the rusty ejector and ejector spring with colt parts, the extractor spring, and gas rings. There are spots of corrosion under the finish and the gas key staking is not, lets say, optimum. The BCG shoots, but it just always bugged me. It bothers me when I succumb to "good deals" only to find that I have to fix or discard them.

Its not my place to tell you what to do, but I can't help but be frustrated with calls for help when the problems are constant and recurring when they involve PSA. My idea of a hobby gun is far different than others. To me there are GO-TO guns, hobby guns, and beater/junk. I put PSA in the latter league.

BTW - In some cases there is only so much correction you can do and still maintain the cost/benefit:headache ratio. With the cost of decent .308 being an issue why would you waste thousands of dollars of ammo shooting junk that costs $580. Hell, I can shoot up $300 worth of ammo in a day. I'd rather enjoy shooting my expensive ammo...
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 08-27-17 at 13:56.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Oh please, really?

I suppose everyone has an opinion, and a specific pain threshold. I have enough trouble trying to get high quality parts to meet my expectations. My experience with PSA parts a few years ago (during the panic) was SO bad that I wouldn't bother at any price except maybe free. Its just not worth the headache, and the flaws always bug.

I've purged every PSA part to the circular filing system except I have a PSA BCG I keep as a backup to a backup after I replaced the rusty ejector and ejector spring with colt parts, the extractor spring, and gas rings. There are spots of corrosion under the finish and the gas key staking is not, lets say, optimum. The BCG shoots, but it just always bugged me. It bothers me when I succumb to "good deals" only to find that I have to fix or discard them.

Its not my place to tell you what to do, but I can't help but be frustrated with calls for help when the problems are constant and recurring when they involve PSA. My idea of a hobby gun is far different than others. To me there are GO-TO guns, hobby guns, and beater/junk. I put PSA in the latter league.

BTW - In some cases there is only so much correction you can do and still maintain the cost/benefit:headache ratio. With the cost of decent .308 being an issue why would you waste thousands of dollars of ammo shooting junk that costs $580. Hell, I can shoot up $300 worth of ammo in a day. I'd rather enjoy shooting my expensive ammo...
    haha, I'm not arguing with you a bit but I guess you didn't read what I wrote right after that.

these guns are probably not worthy of discussion here on M4C but I look at it this way - the type of gun you are talking about would start around $1200-$1500 and usually much more. these cost $580 with Midwest Industries MLok rail and Magpul stock. the barrel, bolt and carrier itself, the receivers, and RE and buffer are solid so the raw material is decent and so is the accuracy.

for the price of an LPK or some other parts I already keep as spares, or if a gasblock or RE needs to be restaked, or whatever can be fixed in my shop with my tools, then it's worthy as consideration as a plinker, hunter, or just a "project' gun.

but I've been where you are and sometimes the frustration just isn't worth it so I won't bother to argue your point...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Own 2 PA-10s. Not one issues other than normal breakin for several thousand rounds. Granted, i’m No operator but I did feed them match to crap ammo. I’ve found they must be run wet as heck.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123