Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Shoot With & Support 5th Group Special Forces: 9/9-9/10, Rockcastle Shooting Center

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    The match started off with a speech from the father of a Green Beret who was one of three killed in Jordan last year by a Jordan gate guard. Very moving stuff. The tough Texas shot the course himself, ran the whole thing wearing his deceased son's chest rig and shooting his pistol.
    The video of that shooting is pretty damn frustrating to watch. Wish I could've made it.
    Last edited by Wake27; 09-15-17 at 21:56.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Next time I'm running it with a Garand and 1911. It was too easy with my A4.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The video of that shooting is pretty damn frustrating to watch. Wish I could've made it.
    Barring any unforeseen issues, this will happen again next year - but bigger and better. Start planning now, and come out and enjoy seeing CPM run it with a Garand and a 1911!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Stage 5: Baqubah

Keep in mind when you're remembering how badly this stage kicked your ass, SSG Miller dragged SIX men over ONE HUNDRED meters to safety. We dragged one guy only 30 meters. The stage design actually started out with two dummy drags, but after trying it we realized not one person would finish if we didn't cut it back somewhere.

Sorry for the foggy video - when I really started sweating between stages 1 and 2 my camera lens started to fog over. And it just got worse as the match progressed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This will be my last post for this event. I can think of no more appropriate way to end this. I truly do thank God that such men lived.

Thank you all for coming so far to make this happen. And never forget.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a great time! Will be ghere next year for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajackz View Post
    I had a great time! Will be ghere next year for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks - we were glad to have you!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I lied - one more post. James Moriarty's family does a newsletter for friends/family of his son and he was kind enough to share with me his summary of this event. When I first heard that he was coming I felt immense pressure to "get it right" for his sake - and I can't thank each and every one of you for helping me to make that happen. I am so glad that this was a positive experience for him.

Shared with permission:

JFM Newsletter article on Run and Gun and TAPS

When we traveled to Dover to greet Jimmy on his last trip home, I thought “I’m never going to have a hunting, fishing or kart racing trip with Jimbo again.” That left me feeling extremely sad, as it has since then, because Jimmy was my best guy friend in the world. He and I had spent countless hours racing go-karts, hunting in Mexico or Africa, camping in Montana, and countless other guy adventures. Jimmy was the finest companion any guy could have, just ask any of his friends. I even cherished getting up at 2:00am to take him to the airport so he could go back to work after a weekend of [debauchery] dating and socializing.

In early August, I was contacted by a 5th Group Special Forces guy who told me they were going to do the first annual unofficial 5th Group 5K Run and Gun on September 9 and 10. I tried to not sound like a complete idiot for not knowing what a 5K Run and Gun is but I didn’t know if this was something that happens after you eat bad food or what. He also asked me if I wanted to participate. As he explained that this was a rifle and pistol shooting competition, combined with a 5K run intended to honor actual 5th Group combat scenarios conducted by 5th Group soldiers since 9/11. When he told me the first stage was in honor of Jimmy and Matt, I cried.

Keep in mind (a) I had never done a rifle competition, (b) a pistol competition, (c) a Run and Gun nor run in anything heavier than a singlet and shorts, so I was more than a little intimidated. Like REALLY intimidated. I thought it through and concluded “Yea, I get to go shopping!!” As I did. Napoleon would have been impressed with how I kitted out. I found one of Jimmy’s old ammo carriers which I modified to fit my much [less fit] smaller body. When I found one of his old Army training notes in the pocket, I cried again.

Setting this up gave me a chance to reach out to Jake and Carley, and to Casey [Removed], all remarkable 5th Group friends of Jimmy’s for advice on preparation and planning. Trevor Saunders, a 5th Group guy and Matt Stennett, the match director, keep me completely up to date on what was to happen and when and where. Rockcastle Shooting Center comped my room and board, Matt and Trevor arranged to get me transportation from the Nashville airport to Kentucky and I was given free admission into the competition.

I did the run, finished mid pack which I considered to be a huge accomplishment and had a ball. I was made to feel like a deeply loved and honored guest and I could not have enjoyed myself more. Jimmy managed to get himself involved with the finest group of people I have ever known and he would be so pleased that his 5th Group friends keep all of us involved in their lives.

I hate these wars but I love these warriors and I completely understand why Jimmy would (and did) give his life to protect them. They are the finest young people in our country and I could not love them more.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567