Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get my first pump action shotgun

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Looking to get my first pump action shotgun

I was looking at the Maverick 88 but I don't mind spending more if I can get more suggestions.
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws shall enjoy freedom.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Maverick is a good gun. I have a 500 and one of the main differences I can think of is the 500 has dual action bars to cycle the action and the Maverick has one. I will have less expensive furniture to lower cost. It should be the same receiver. My buddy has a maverick and says it's just as good.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have owned a Mossberg 500 for thirty years and have shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds from bird shot to 3" OOO buck magnum rounds to slugs with absolutely no malfunctions. Quick barrel change and it goes from hunting to home defense.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW, not only from the perspective of being a 'lefty', but for home defense and instinctive action, I don't think you can beat a top-mounted safety! Good hear someone has a ton of rounds through a Mossy 500.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    If you are a lefty, I would get a Mossberg 590A1, and replace the plastic safety and the magazine spring with a new Wolff unit.

If you are a righty, I would get a used Remington 870 Police Magnum for less than $250 from Mark at Summit Gun Broker, clean it, replace the magazine spring with a new Wolff unit, and call it good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post

.....Good hear someone has a ton of rounds through a Mossy 500.
    The first gun I ever bought (1982, Eielson AFB Alaska Base Exchange, $189.00) was a Mossberg 500 "Sportsman Combo". Wood and blues...it came with a long and short barrel, three screw in chokes, pistol grip, and a sling.

I carried and hunted with that gun in Alaska, Montana, and New England. I've shot upland birds, waterfowl, deer, fox, coyote, and thousands of clay pigeons with it using all manner of ammo.

I have only recently replaced my magazine spring because it was original, but it still worked fine. But I figured it may give out on me some day and wanted to fully vette a new one at the range rather than have 'old reliable' fail in the field.

It's got some minor rust on the barrel, and the wood stock has some dings and scratches (it wears a plastic stock and fore grip now) but that gun has never failed me, even as I have neglected it from time to time.

The first gun I bought, I expect it to be last gun I will part with unless it gets passed on to one of my kids.

Not sure what today's Mossberg quality is, but I have no complaints about my old scatter blaster....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Did you ever buy a slug barrel for it? A good shotty with a shorter slug barrel would seem to be a great combo up in Alaska.

Another member here named GJM lives up there, and always has such a beast handy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Did you ever buy a slug barrel for it? A good shotty with a shorter slug barrel would seem to be a great combo up in Alaska.

Another member here named GJM lives up there, and always has such a beast handy.
    I don't live in Alaska anymore. I moved outside in 2001. The short barrel with my gun was an 18 inch smooth bore, I believe they used to call it a buckshot slug combo. Without the plug, the gun holds five in the magazine and one chamber and it was basically my companion whenever I was out in the boonies fishing, hiking, goofing off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    FWIW, not only from the perspective of being a 'lefty', but for home defense and instinctive action, I don't think you can beat a top-mounted safety! Good hear someone has a ton of rounds through a Mossy 500.
    Unless you want a pistol grip, then they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    If you are a lefty, I would get a Mossberg 590A1, and replace the plastic safety and the magazine spring with a new Wolff unit.

If you are a righty, I would get a used Remington 870 Police Magnum for less than $250 from Mark at Summit Gun Broker, clean it, replace the magazine spring with a new Wolff unit, and call it good.
    As mention above the Mossberg tang safety sucks with pistol grips regardless of which hand you use. Also the 590A1s come with a metal safety and trigger guard along with the heavy barrel construction, standard 590s do not.

As a left-hander, I have discovered an 870 with a pistol grip (I have a Speedfeed IV-S on mine) and a Vang Comp Dome Safety will allow left-handed operation ala similar to a 1911 style safety swipe.

I personally would spend a couple more bucks and get an 870P, 500 or 590/590A1.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I just snagged a used Super Nova Tactical w/PG stock for $349 shipped (barfcom EE), and am waiting for it to arrive. 50 rounds through it supposedly. I have also shot 590A1, cheap Stevens 320, and 870 Wingmaster from the 70's. I am anxious to see how the SNT compares!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast