Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looking to get my first pump action shotgun

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Understood, but the shotgun is realistically an "oh poop" weapon for me. I'm not planning to have on-body ammo, just what's on the gun. If I had that amount of time, I'd likely be carrying a rifle.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Understood. I have a side saddle for that reason and just recently(in terms of time spent using) got a caddy for 3 gun. The caddy is probably faster, but almost without fail I will load from the saddle in matches till it is empty.

Wonder if the pump only divisions go with the lefty 590 though.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 09-09-17 at 21:02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Don't be afraid to buy a used shotgun. There are bargains to be had, you just have to beat the bushes. You might consider a police surplus shotgun. I picked up one that was in serviceable condition for under $200.

If you are going to carry 00 buckshot, you may want to consider the reduced recoil ammunition if you are the least bit recoil sensitive.

I ran some 6n6 drills today at 25 yards with my 870 Police shotgun and the reduced recoil buckshot appeared to plant more shot on target than the hotter ammunition. You start at low ready, then fire 6 shots in under 6 seconds. Finishing in under 4 seconds is doable for a lot of people.

I shot Winchester 00 buckshot (1325 fps) on one target and Federal reduced recoil 00 buckshot (1145 fps) on the other target. Both shot shells hold 9 pellets. I fired a total of 24 rounds on each target. (The green wad is from 1 Remington shell I threw in with the Winchester to make it 6 shots.) Some of the buckshot from the Winchester loads did not hit the cardboard. I suspect part of that is due to recoil and part of it is due to shot speed.
    Last edited by T2C; 09-12-17 at 15:41.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I still like the 870, but my choice is the Benelli Nova or Supernova. I bought the Nova and replaced the stock recoil pad with a limb saver and its the softest shooting gun in the closet. Bought mine for $300.

Lotta good shotguns out there, love them. Cant get enough shotguns.

And I do like the federal with Flight control for that type stuff.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-12-17 at 21:46.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The first firearm I purchased when I turned 18 was a Mossberg 590 Special Purpose. I have since added a 590A1 to the cache. IIRC only the 590A1's come with the "mil-spec" metal trigger assembly and metal safety button. On my 590 SP I upgraded from the plastic trigger assembly and safety button.

I'll mirror above posts stating that you should just pony up the extra dough for the 590 over the Maverick 88, also used Remington 870Ps (Police Magnums) are good to go.

Also mirror what SeriousStudent said about Wolff magazine springs and I'll add to that pick up a high visibility follower while you are at it, I like GG&G's. Or you could just paint the OEM one neon green Krylon.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    I'll add to that pick up a high visibility follower while you are at it, I like GG&G's. Or you could just paint the OEM one neon green Krylon.
    I use the VCS SS follower, it is highly visible, functionally tactile when a visual is unavailable or impractical and is pretty much indestructible.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I use the VCS SS follower, it is highly visible, functionally tactile when a visual is unavailable or impractical and is pretty much indestructible.
    Nice, looks like the GG&G except theirs as a high vis red insert. I like the hole in the end so you can tell in the dark by touch when you reached the follower, i.e. empty.

https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-590-s...-follower.html
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Nice, looks like the GG&G except theirs as a high vis red insert. I like the hole in the end so you can tell in the dark by touch when you reached the follower, i.e. empty.

https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-590-s...-follower.html
    Exactly why I run one.

I can quickly check that the chamber and mag tube are both empty, with a simple swipe of a finger. Day, night, cold, wet, with gloves, no worries.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Maintenance is important with any shotgun. Some shotguns require more than others, but maintenance is something you do not want to overlook.

As a test, I wiped all the oil off my well worn Remington 870 and fired buckshot and slugs through it to determine how far I could push it until I had a malfunction. The shotgun has been dropped on the dusty ground quite a few times over the past week while practicing transition drills. Today I hit 275 rounds without a failure and will pass the 300 round mark tomorrow. If I do not have a malfunction, I will conclude the test.

Choose your equipment wisely.
    Train 2 Win

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234