Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get my first pump action shotgun

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Did you ever buy a slug barrel for it? A good shotty with a shorter slug barrel would seem to be a great combo up in Alaska.

Another member here named GJM lives up there, and always has such a beast handy.
    I don't live in Alaska anymore. I moved outside in 2001. The short barrel with my gun was an 18 inch smooth bore, I believe they used to call it a buckshot slug combo. Without the plug, the gun holds five in the magazine and one chamber and it was basically my companion whenever I was out in the boonies fishing, hiking, goofing off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Trading mosquitoes in Alaska for awesome food in San Antonio - sounds like a smart choice!

Feedback Score
    I have a Maverick 88 and it's great, especially for the price, but if you don't mind spending a bit more you might as well get a Mossberg 500 or something along those lines. Still, the Maverick 88 is a great deal.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    FWIW, not only from the perspective of being a 'lefty', but for home defense and instinctive action, I don't think you can beat a top-mounted safety! Good hear someone has a ton of rounds through a Mossy 500.
    Unless you want a pistol grip, then they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    If you are a lefty, I would get a Mossberg 590A1, and replace the plastic safety and the magazine spring with a new Wolff unit.

If you are a righty, I would get a used Remington 870 Police Magnum for less than $250 from Mark at Summit Gun Broker, clean it, replace the magazine spring with a new Wolff unit, and call it good.
    As mention above the Mossberg tang safety sucks with pistol grips regardless of which hand you use. Also the 590A1s come with a metal safety and trigger guard along with the heavy barrel construction, standard 590s do not.

As a left-hander, I have discovered an 870 with a pistol grip (I have a Speedfeed IV-S on mine) and a Vang Comp Dome Safety will allow left-handed operation ala similar to a 1911 style safety swipe.

I personally would spend a couple more bucks and get an 870P, 500 or 590/590A1.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not sure if you live in a Gunshow state, but a used Remington 870 Wingmaster with rifle sights (18.5 smooth bore) is my goto pickup. They have a chromed bolt that will last forever and the fit & finish are excellent regardless of use. Can be had for <$300, a major cleaning and lube (youtube videos), springs, hi-viz follower replacement and you are GTG. The stock will be wood and you can cut to length and add a Decellerator pad (Youtube videos). Smooth and great with all ammo including slugs which are easy peezy with rifle sights.

Or you can buy a junky 870 and send it to wilson for their 870 package entry level and get back a perfectly good 870.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No one else asked. What are you wanting to do with it?
    Last edited by JasonB1; 08-08-17 at 18:31.

Feedback Score
    Buy something cheap, learn how to use it. Get something better later.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The intended use of the shotgun will help narrow down choices. This guy's opinion is if you're doing serious tactical work, stack some pennies up and get a Benelli. If it's for home defense and/or hunting, get a Mossberg 500.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Buy something cheap, learn how to use it. Get something better later.
    This.

Also, if you get the Mav....make sure it has 2 action bars on the forend slide. Some models only have 1...probably not the end of the world...but 2 is preferred.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Ive had really great luck with the IAC 982 Hawk...these things are usually dirt cheap around black friday. I got mine for $125 couple years back (new)

Its an 870 clone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast