Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get my first pump action shotgun

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I just snagged a used Super Nova Tactical w/PG stock for $349 shipped (barfcom EE), and am waiting for it to arrive. 50 rounds through it supposedly. I have also shot 590A1, cheap Stevens 320, and 870 Wingmaster from the 70's. I am anxious to see how the SNT compares!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles11B View Post
    The intended use of the shotgun will help narrow down choices. This guy's opinion is if you're doing serious tactical work, stack some pennies up and get a Benelli. If it's for home defense and/or hunting, get a Mossberg 500.
    +1

I used to be a Remington 870 fan, but the QC is lacking these days to say the least. I bought an 870 express about 6 years ago that I sold after one range trip. Don't know how they f*cked up such an old and proven design. You'd swear the one I bought from a dealer new was a BAD made in somewhere other than China clone. Chinese knockoff are better built than the 870 express I got (lowest end model).

I am personally a fan of the tang safety over the cross bar. I hate crossbar safeties with a passion, even having owned many guns with them and practiced/trained/used them for years. Only learned to hate them more.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    +1

I used to be a Remington 870 fan, but the QC is lacking these days to say the least. I bought an 870 express about 6 years ago that I sold after one range trip. Don't know how they f*cked up such an old and proven design. You'd swear the one I bought from a dealer new was a BAD made in somewhere other than China clone. Chinese knockoff are better built than the 870 express I got (lowest end model).

I am personally a fan of the tang safety over the cross bar. I hate crossbar safeties with a passion, even having owned many guns with them and practiced/trained/used them for years. Only learned to hate them more.
    Indeed. I only buy or recommend used 870P or Wingmasters these days. Relatively easy to find from the pre-Ceberus days, and so easy to refurb.

Regarding the crossbar safety, I find that the Vang Comp Big Dome safety makes an enormous difference. It is very easy to take "off safe" with the knuckle on your trigger finger.

And I agree the tang safety is very easy. I'm not a lefty, but am seriously considering buying one of these: http://www.mossberg.com/product/590a...-handed-59815/

It would be very fast and easy to feed. But I already have four 870's, and decades of work with them. That's a lot of practice sessions I'd have to override.

Still, it is intriguing......

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I like the S&J hardware safety...Looks very similar to the Vang.

https://sjhardware.us/product/reming...-jumbo-safety/

Best I can recall, I got it in a package deal with an S&J extended hi vis follower and one of their Velcro side saddles and all 3 work well.

Very hard to beat the Remington Supercell butt pad. Usually easy to pick up take off synthetic stocks with that pad for cheap.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Indeed. I only buy or recommend used 870P or Wingmasters these days. Relatively easy to find from the pre-Ceberus days, and so easy to refurb.
    Yep 100%.

Regarding the crossbar safety, I find that the Vang Comp Big Dome safety makes an enormous difference. It is very easy to take "off safe" with the knuckle on your trigger finger.
    For lefties, it works fine with the left handed thumb as well.

And I agree the tang safety is very easy. I'm not a lefty, but am seriously considering buying one of these: http://www.mossberg.com/product/590a...-handed-59815/
    I am a lefty and I wouldn't buy one nor do I don't own any left handed guns.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    I like the S&J hardware safety...Looks very similar to the Vang.

https://sjhardware.us/product/reming...-jumbo-safety/

Best I can recall, I got it in a package deal with an S&J extended hi vis follower and one of their Velcro side saddles and all 3 work well.

Very hard to beat the Remington Supercell butt pad. Usually easy to pick up take off synthetic stocks with that pad for cheap.
    Those look pretty good, if didn't already have a Vang I'd pick one up to check out.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post

I am a lefty and I wouldn't buy one nor do I don't own any left handed guns.
    I understand. My point being that I'm right-handed. With a left-handed shotgun, I can just keep my right hand on the stock, controlling the trigger and slide release. My left hand can pull shells from the Velcro side saddle on the right hand side of the receiver, and drop them into the chamber. They can also just as easily stuff them into the mag tube.

It might seem counter-intuitive, but when I tried it on a timer I was pleasantly surprised.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know you probably have, but, have you ever tried this with a standard shotgun: running the first shell (closest to muzzle) in the sidesaddle brass up for the chamber load and the others brass down for the tube. For chamber empty roll the shotgun to the left so the ejection port is up to 'drop' the shell in, roll the shotgun to the right to bring the tube into your vision to load it.

This method involves more movement with the support hand to run the action forward, and from a tactical standpoint doesn't offer the 'second chance' that the under the receiver and curl into the ejection port method does if you miss the ejection port.

As a lefty, using right handed shotguns, I'm not surprised that you found right handed combat loading a left handed shotgun faster.

What I like to work on is getting two out of the sidesaddle while the shotgun is pretty much in firing position then shoving the bottom shell into the receiver and continuing forward with one motion, using the heel of my hand to run the action forward. Then load the second shell into the tube as you roll the shotgun to the left making the loading port and bases of the shells in the sidesaddle visible.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-08-17 at 23:32.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Yup, I have practiced "load two, shoot two" with both a shotgun and a J-frame quite a bit.

I never run any ammo brass down, I always run it brass up. Two reasons - one is consistency, the other is retention. I have seen more than one shooter lose shells when they slowly wiggled out of a polymer Side Saddle or one of the newer nylon and elastic shotgun cards. As I'm already dealing with a weapon that carries fewer rounds (although quite effective ones) I'm not wishing to fumble or lose any of them.

Regarding consistency, I am basically feeding the pig on autopilot. I do lots and lots and lots of dry practice and live fire to build what John Hearne called "automaticity". I don't ever want to think about reloads, malfunction clearance, moving a cover garment, footwork, etc. Operating the safety on an 870 is the same way. I have that down to an automatic movement - shotgun aligned on target and a fire decision is made? Safety comes off. Muzzle comes off target? Finger aligns on receiver and safety comes back on.

I just want to be focused on threat recognition, threat avoidance and threat management. Not "How does this bloody thing work??"

Shotgun rounds are kinda like frags, I want to know exactly where each one is, and not drop any of them.

That was meant as sort of an explanation of my thought processes, not any kind of lecture, by the way.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I understand. My point being that I'm right-handed. With a left-handed shotgun, I can just keep my right hand on the stock, controlling the trigger and slide release. My left hand can pull shells from the Velcro side saddle on the right hand side of the receiver, and drop them into the chamber. They can also just as easily stuff them into the mag tube.

It might seem counter-intuitive, but when I tried it on a timer I was pleasantly surprised.
    That kind of surprises me out of the side saddle. When you first mentioned lefty shotgun being easier to reload for a righty I was thinking caddy or other on body spares to be more of a straight path instead of doing the reaching under/over world of the side saddle.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast