Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget $1,500-$1,700 what 16" AR should I purchase?

Feedback Score

Budget $1,500-$1,700 what 16" AR should I purchase?

I've got a budget of about $1,500-$1,700.
    I'm looking for a more "general purpose" rifle that can do a bit of everything. I'm looking to be able to hit out to around 600M.
    It'll have a 1-4x optic on it eventually.

What pre-built rifle do you guys recommend? I'm looking at options from BCM and Daniel Defense currently.
    I'd like a pre-built because generally when it comes to anything custom... I kinda have bad luck.
    Though I do have a build list for a rifle I put together a while ago.

Any suggestions/ ideas appreciated!

AR build list, cost ~1500-1600 w/o assembly cost

-AERO Precision stripped receiver set, anodized
    -Midwest Industries SSM M-Lok 12" RIS
    -YHM Machine flash hider (This may change)
    -CCMG Lower Parts Kit
    -Faxon Firearms 16" SOCOM Profile barrel
    -Rainier Arms nickle Boron match grade BCG
    -BCM/ Vltor mod 4 medium charging handle
    -Magpul K2 Pistol grip
    -Magpul ACS Carbine stock
    -Magpul MBUS Gen 2
    -Geiselle SSA-E Trigger
    -V-Seven Titanium gas block .750
    -Vltor buffer tube & spring/ guide
    -BCM mid length gas tube
    A Student once said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

Gear, or rifles are only as good as the user. Even if a rifle is true to an inch at a mile, even if gear is as light as a feather, yet as durable as leather, it is limited by its user. Invest in training.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Take a look at Sionics.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Colt 6960:
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...n&key=6960-CCU

It's a real Colt and meets all your needs. Leaves money for ammo or saving for that scope, also.

BCM and DD are both great options, as are LMT and some others, but at the moment, and for your uses, that Colt looks like a great deal.

Feedback Score
    Id like to go with a higher end rifle currently. I already have a I'd say... "cheaper" rifle for me to beat up. I have a Troy already so buying a Colt wouldn't really be much of an upgrade.
    I have money set aside for ammunition and about $600 for a scope.
    A Student once said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

Gear, or rifles are only as good as the user. Even if a rifle is true to an inch at a mile, even if gear is as light as a feather, yet as durable as leather, it is limited by its user. Invest in training.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooohah View Post
    Id like to go with a higher end rifle currently. I already have a I'd say... "cheaper" rifle for me to beat up. I have a Troy already so buying a Colt wouldn't really be much of an upgrade.
    Yes it would. 6960 is the answer.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Ummm... I'd rate a real Colt (69xx series, not the licensed "Colt Competition" cheap stuff) as an upgrade over most brands with the exceptions of KAC and LMT. Colt created the platform and has it thoroughly debugged. You may want to read some past threads for discussions of relative brands and what differences exist, even if they aren't flashy.

Anyway, make the rifle you want, it's a buyer's market.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If you already have an AR, and have a $1700 budget, and want it to do things that your current rifle doesn't, why not take advantage of the inherent modularity of the platform and get a higher-end upper receiver?

Options from lots of places inside that budget that will get you pretty far.

I get it if you want to do a whole rifle, not trying to lecture.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    In your list you are starting with Aero. Ok for clone, but that rifle will always be an Aero frankngun.

Start with a colt OEM2 if you don't do the 6960. Put the rail of your choice, triggers, furniture, Etc. It will always be a colt and worth more.

Should be able to end up with a nice colt based rifle and have some money left over for a starter optic.

The other options are Daniel Defense or LMT. Used to be you could get LMT complete lowers pretty economically, they've gone up a bit. But their lower with the two-stage trigger is still a decent value.

For what it's worth I'd probably rather have your proposed Aero based Frankengun than the majority of the Troys I see.

My view is with the recent deals on Colt OEMs it's just not worth fiddling with anything else. You'll pay more with generics and have a rifle that's worth less.

If you just hate the idea of a colt, I'd just have BCM or Sionics build exactly what you want. Won't be much if any cheaper though.

Feedback Score
    Colt CCU and an Aimpoint Pro. Or, Colt CCU and a case or two of M193.

Or, 5 cases of ammo and keep your current rifle.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    A lot of good advice here. Your budget leaves a lot open as far as quality weapons is concerned. Colt, BCM, Sionics, LMT. If none of them have the exact weapon you are looking for pick one of their lowers and then pick an upper from another company. My 1st AR was a LMT lower with a BCM middy upper. The only complete weapons I have are a Noveske SBR and a LMT MWS. The rest are either complete builds I did myself or or combination uppers and lowers. They all came in less that you budget amount except for the Noveske and the LMT

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast