Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget $1,500-$1,700 what 16" AR should I purchase?

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    If it were me, for ~$2k I would:

A: save a little more and get and SR15.

B. Get a centurion upper with cmr rail and a lower of your choice. Probably build a Kac lower or get a bcm.

C. LMT MRP

D. Colt OEM 2, geissele rail, g2s trigger, SL stock, Steiner P4xi.

Any of those will be an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would strongly consider a Colt 6960 CCU and a geissele ssa trigger. Some Magpul Pro Mbus if it doesn't come with any and a front Arisaka QD mount.

Should be 1550-1700$ for all that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooohah View Post
    I've got a budget of about $1,500-$1,700.
    I'm looking for a more "general purpose" rifle that can do a bit of everything. I'm looking to be able to hit out to around 600M.
    It'll have a 1-4x optic on it eventually.

What pre-built rifle do you guys recommend? I'm looking at options from BCM and Daniel Defense currently.
    I'd like a pre-built because generally when it comes to anything custom... I kinda have bad luck.
    Though I do have a build list for a rifle I put together a while ago.

Any suggestions/ ideas appreciated!

AR build list, cost ~1500-1600 w/o assembly cost

-AERO Precision stripped receiver set, anodized
    -Midwest Industries SSM M-Lok 12" RIS
    -YHM Machine flash hider (This may change)
    -CCMG Lower Parts Kit
    -Faxon Firearms 16" SOCOM Profile barrel
    -Rainier Arms nickle Boron match grade BCG
    -BCM/ Vltor mod 4 medium charging handle
    -Magpul K2 Pistol grip
    -Magpul ACS Carbine stock
    -Magpul MBUS Gen 2
    -Geiselle SSA-E Trigger
    -V-Seven Titanium gas block .750
    -Vltor buffer tube & spring/ guide
    -BCM mid length gas tube
    If you are going to buy a complete rifle I would go BCM with a BCM 16" Stailess barrel, a BCM BFH ELW barrel -OR- I would go Daniel Defense.

I don't agree with most of your build list, starting with the Aero Precision receivers and the MI SSM. Here is the build list I would suggest if you decide to build another rifle.

- Daniel Defense, Colt, BCM or LMT bolt carrier group ONLY.
    - Mega MML Extended Rifle Length (Upper receiver and rail in Mlok). I have several BCM, Noveske, and Vltor uppers (and upper receivers). I went with the Mega MML for my latest build because it is very integrated and the rail attaches to the receiver not the barrel nut. It is stiff and beautifully machined as if it was a monolithic upper, but without the problems of a monolithic upper. Very high quality stuff.
    - Mega Billet lower, but you could save money here by using a standard Mega Forged lower receiver.
    - ALG Defense or Geissele lower parts kit (no trigger, very good kits)
    - BCM Mod 4 CH or BCM Ambi CH
    - Geissele SSA (The SSA-E is too light for an all around trigger IMHO) I have several SSA and two SSA-E triggers. SSA is the better all around trigger, SSA-E for more precision shooting. You could save a few bucks here too by buying a LaRue MBT2 on the "I'm not in a hurry" plan for a great price. The MBT2 is a good trigger, especially for the $$.
    - Don't waste your money on a titanium gas block again. Any decent quality GB will work. BCM is good. If you want an adjustable GB I suggest a SLR Sentry adjustable.

Barrel(s) - Depends on what you want to do with the rifle.
    -- BCM BFH ELW 16" - Light weight Hammer Forged Chrome lined. If you want an all around home defense/fighting barrel, this would be a very good choice matched to a BCM Bolt Carrier group. My two most accurate barrels are BCM.
    -- Faxon Match Series (NEW) QPQ 16" or 18" (I just built a rifle with one of these, but have not shot it yet) This barrel is designed for accuracy, but is surprisingly light because of the fluting for a heavy profile barrel Only a few of the Match Series are shipping, got mine at Rainier Arms. Be aware there are many good barrels out there and I've not shot this one. http://faxonfirearms.com/blog/faxon-...p3-extensions/
    -- My favorite fighting rifle barrel is the Hammer Forged steel double chrome lined Noveske barrel. I just love the profile of this barrel, so I have three, but they are just way too expensive and the prices of the competition have come down making really expensive barrels for anything but precision shooting ridiculous.

JMHO
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 08-02-17 at 19:50.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    With that budget and if I was just starting out or starting over . . . as several others have stated Colt 6960 CCU and a Aimpoint Pro.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    another vote for Colt 6960.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Colt 6960 CCU
    Daniel Defense (any)
    BCM 16" middy

In that order, and in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'll echo the Colt CCU recommendations. Mine is one of my favorites. But, I'll also add a new recommendation-the Colt 6920-r for ~$750:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...556_nato_161_3

Everything you need, minus sights, but you now have roughly a grand left over from that $1700 for sights,optics, whatever. If I had noticed this version of a 6920 available prior to buying my 6960, I would have certainly purchased it over the 6960. I personally don't notice a difference in recoil going from my carbine gassed 6720s to my mid gassed 6960, so the carbine length system on the 6920-r wouldn't bother me a bit.

With the current pricing of Colt 6920s, 6720s and 6960s, there's really no excuse, imho, of buying anything less. Colts may not be pretty, but for a gun you can count on and easily afford, the quality can't be beat.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooohah View Post
    Id like to go with a higher end rifle currently. I already have a I'd say... "cheaper" rifle for me to beat up. I have a Troy already so buying a Colt wouldn't really be much of an upgrade.
    I have money set aside for ammunition and about $600 for a scope.
    LMT Defender.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcf1981 View Post
    Take a look at Sionics.
    I second Sionics. Very well put together, accurate and, IMHO, their np3 coated bcg is one of the best out there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Buy a damn BCM Recce 16" KMR and call it good. You'll never have to worry about anything.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast