Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Budget $1,500-$1,700 what 16" AR should I purchase?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    +1 on getting a midlength over carbine

If going Aimpoint PRO, get a used one for $300 or a bit more. Don't buy a new one, used ones pop up all the time cheap in almost new condition. You can always sell it close to what you paid for it.

For the size & weight difference between the two, the PRO is too large and heavy for what it does. I'd save up a bit more and get a Micro with a QR mount. I sound like a weight weenie, but it IS noticeable when you use them back to back.

Just my opinion, I literally have a Micro on my primary and a PRO on my secondary carbine. I should've gotten a second Micro in retrospect... but again, it's a secondary rifle and the optic is reliable so it's not a priority to me.

I know QR isn't en vogue these days because the cool kids are running optics bolted in, but I personally wouldn't run an optic that requires tools to remove on a rifle that might be used seriously.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If you already have an AR, and have a $1700 budget, and want it to do things that your current rifle doesn't, why not take advantage of the inherent modularity of the platform and get a higher-end upper receiver?

Options from lots of places inside that budget that will get you pretty far.

I get it if you want to do a whole rifle, not trying to lecture.
    All my spare uppers end up turning into complete rifles .

OP - lots of good opinions echo'd in this thread. You do save some money buying completed or stripped lower due vs. a complete rifle since there is a firearms tax. I'd probably get a BCM Complete Lower w/ whatever furniture I wanted from GandRTactical, and BCM ELW CHF Upper or 16 SS410 with a Geissele MK8 or MK14 - pending on which role you wanted it to fill (weight and longer distance touching).

Buying a Colt is not a bad idea either, I have a 6920 OEM2, threw on an MK8, a Geissele SSA, some magpul furniture, and it has been stupid boring.

I'd only build if you had really specific requirements in mind (which a general purpose rifle with out to 600M plinking isn't).
    Last edited by beschatten; 08-28-17 at 00:02.

Feedback Score
    3-4 Ruger AR-556's.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456