Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Turning Point for Remington 870

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    Lots of feed and/or ejection issues. I am sure part of them can be blamed on using low powered shells in auto loaders, but there have been plenty with 500 and 870 users as well.
    User error as in short stroking?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    User error as in short stroking?
    Done or seen that once or twice, but no most of these seem to be legit malfunctions.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A bit of a derail, but yes, 3gun is definitely putting shotguns through usage patterns that they weren't designed for. I've seen and shot stages that would burn a whole box (25) shells. When I flip my shotgun over to load, I wear a glove on my left hand because the barrel will blister your hand. I think the competition/competitors are definitely pushing companies and designers into better guns. JMHO. Sorry for the drift.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I think the reliability rumors started about the same time the internet became mainstream. I'd like to know the actual number that were returned to Remington for the rough chamber issue. I'll bet it is small compared to the hundreds of thousands they sold. I also bet half of the ones sent back had dirty chambers. Like the guy saying he polished it with steel wool. He didn't polish anything. He just did a good job of cleaning it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    A bit of a derail, but yes, 3gun is definitely putting shotguns through usage patterns that they weren't designed for. I've seen and shot stages that would burn a whole box (25) shells. When I flip my shotgun over to load, I wear a glove on my left hand because the barrel will blister your hand. I think the competition/competitors are definitely pushing companies and designers into better guns. JMHO. Sorry for the drift.
    Quite relevant, actually. Revealing limitations and flaws in designs is something very valuable for any manufactured good, be it guns, trucks, boats, tools, or anything else. Weak points in designs will fail faster in heavy usage scenarios but still can fail in the previously-thought-to-be normal use as well. Maybe you're right in that these days we hold shotguns to higher standards so we notice more defects or have become less tolerant of them. I remember the one failure my youth 20ga 1100 had when I was a kid when the action handle broke off while dove hunting. Sure it wasn't supposed to happen but we just brought it to the shop and a week or two it was fixed. What we didn't say at the time was "What the heck?!?! I've only run 400 rounds through this thing! I wasn't running it that hard! My Benelli has 6K rounds through it and I haven't even cleaned it!" It was thought to be and still is thought to be a quality gun, made in the late 80's, but as you correctly point out NOT a heavy duty high round count gun.

It's interesting you mention, GH41, the time of the Internet getting big. That kind of nicely coincided with the Clinton ban years bringing about the EBR boom and higher round counts on long guns becoming much more common versus predominantly bolt gun decades prior. I guess dove hunting and clays have always been higher volume than was typical for rifles for most of history but I wonder how much it picked up even more due to the influence of higher round count usage on rifles in the last couple of decades.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 08-20-17 at 22:24.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    Benelli semiautos seem to have a reputation of standing up to high round counts.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    my m4 only has about 4000. not a lot but issues to speak of. my 870s have been shot a lot and had a lot of abuse, unsure on round counts cause they are both trade ins.
    Last edited by feesix; 08-22-17 at 14:41.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a weak extractor spring on my police surplus 870, but it keeps running. When I first picked it up I fired a 5 gallon bucket of buckshot and slugs through it during the first outing. It has been fired a lot more since the first outing on a monthly basis.

Maintenance is of paramount importance with most firearms and I can't help but wonder if some of the issues people are having aren't maintenance related.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    It's funny, that is the very first thing I do with a used Glock or 870. Detail strip it, degrease it, replace every single spring, then lube it.

You are absolutely right. It's amazing how a "problem child" suddenly behaves after some good PM.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    i am currently overhauling my 870s. cerakote and dsf 870 surefires. one will be bead sights and the other wilson combat sights.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast