Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Dot astigmatism work around.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I found the same thing.

Ultimately I bought a T1 years ago, found out it bloomed for me. Never bought another red dot and have been very very happily all LPV optics since then. Nightforce NXS and Leupold VX6 being my favorites.

While the rear site up works well I found it clutter my field of view. I don't and FSB guns with an optic. If i did I guess a fixed rear and an absolute co witness would be good with a red dot.

Feedback Score
    I have pretty bad astigmatism. I presume my glasses are for it, as the world around me I see is clear and sharp.
    Red dots, not so much. Eotech is the worst. Others, a starry, oblong shape, canted at an odd angle. Cheap red dots worse than good ones. The mro was the best I've looked through.
    Never tried the rear sight thing, but I agree, kinda kills the wide open, high speed target acquisition thing.
    All my red dots are fiber optic powered. Perfectly clear. Old trijicon tripower, clear, unless using the battery. Meprolight m21, clear, both with fiber optic and tritium. Acog 1.5x, clear, both fiber optic and tritium.
    Have a trijicon accupoint also, and it's clear.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Red Dot sights and astigmatism react differently for different people. Depending on the level of your astigmatism you will perceive the dot different than I or someone else might.

Having said this, for folks that have a problem there are a few things I usually recommend. First, turn the brightness down to the lowest functional level. This alone can help some folks. Next try viewing the dot through your rear sight peep. I do not know why (the science) this works, just that it does. It does not slow your mount of the gun down appreciably as you are not aligning a front, rear and target but rather just looking through the rear peep and seeing your normal dot on target sight picture. The next option is to try other optics. Some manufacturers use a LED to create the dot, others use a laser. The source of the dot can make a difference in what you are seeing. I've had people say their Aimpoint was fuzzy/misshapen but a EOTech looks fine and vice versa. For ME corrective lenses don't seem to make a difference. YMMV.

Hope this helps. I have run into some people who just can't find a viable option that makes them comfortable and go with a low powered variable optic. Luckily there are quite a few options (some of them very affordable) in that market right now. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you can find an etched reticle/dot RDS I found it to help me. I'm fortunate to have it in my left eye so its only shooting from certain positions that I'm effected and even then I usually see the dot as an odd small crescent which still works up close. The rear sight does work though as previously stated you loose some quickness and tunnel through it more.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    MRGUNSNGEAR wrote: "I also think the TA44 is a very solid choice; especially with the TA44 with ACSS that's coming soon (stay tuned to the channel; review will be up as soon as they hit the streets".

The ACOGS work UNTIL one is shooting from a very dark area into a highly lit area and all illumination goes away (the tritium cannot overcome normal ambient light and only works in dark/dark situations). With no illumination, the black circle/dot is difficult to see. The TA44SR-10 was my astigmatism fix until I ended up doing a house clearing exercise with no visible reticle. I switched back to Aimpoint and learned to ignore the minor astigmatism I have. Of course if Trijicon ever does an LED version of the TA44 (or current equivalent), I'll buy one in an instant.
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 08-03-17 at 13:16.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have an astigmatism and the Eotech was the worst thing for it. I now run an MRO and it works great for my eye, no fuzzy/blurriness now.

Feedback Score
    Note that using a rear iron sight with 1/3 cowitness RDS to sharpen the dot may cause a slight parallax shift in the dot. To give an example, Aimpoint T2 at 1/3rd viewed through KAC 600m causes POI to shift 3" high at 100 yards. This is serendipitous because it compensates for bullet drop at 350-400 yards, extending my point blank range.

Feedback Score
    Does the parallax shift occur under absolute cowittness also?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tips Joe R.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe R. View Post
    Next try viewing the dot through your rear sight peep. I do not know why (the science) this works, just that it does.
    Pinhole effect - http://www.invision2020.com/see-better-squint/

I have pretty bad astigmatism and have used the rear sight when initially sighting in my rifle, to sharpen up the dot. There are issues with doing that; the parallex mentioned before, and I the POA changing because the dot shape changes with and without using the rear sight. This is one of the reasons I really like the Steiner P4Xi as my vision gets worse from age; I can focus the dot. While a 1-4x may not be as quick or light weight as a RDS, that ability to focus the dot until it's sharp, plus the additional magnification for target identification at longer distances makes it my favourite all-round optic so far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast