Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red Dot astigmatism work around.

Feedback Score
    Leaving a lens cap on the front works well, weird but works.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    [QUOTE=militarymoron;2520563]Pinhole effect - http://www.invision2020.com/see-better-squint/

Thanks for the link MM!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Pinhole effect - http://www.invision2020.com/see-better-squint/

I have pretty bad astigmatism and have used the rear sight when initially sighting in my rifle, to sharpen up the dot. There are issues with doing that; the parallex mentioned before, and I the POA changing because the dot shape changes with and without using the rear sight. This is one of the reasons I really like the Steiner P4Xi as my vision gets worse from age; I can focus the dot. While a 1-4x may not be as quick or light weight as a RDS, that ability to focus the dot until it's sharp, plus the additional magnification for target identification at longer distances makes it my favourite all-round optic so far.
    My eyes have over 60 years on the clock now, and while my astigmatism hasn't changed over time, the reduction in my ability to focus makes even a "grape cluster" via an Aimpoint Micro an improvement over irons. Trying to use the irons with the Micro has not worked out so well for me regardless of how much the aiming point might be more in focus.

For some reason, neither my eyes or anything else seems to get younger, and I keep thinking I need to at least put my toe in the water with a LPV. I have been hesitant to do it so far, but I think something like a Steiner P4xi, Vortex Viper PST or even a Leupold VX-4 1.25x4 ("Fudd" style with capped turret) might be a good intro to the whole concept of an LPV on an AR.

toc

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theorangecat View Post
    For some reason, neither my eyes or anything else seems to get younger, and I keep thinking I need to at least put my toe in the water with a LPV. I have been hesitant to do it so far, but I think something like a Steiner P4xi, Vortex Viper PST or even a Leupold VX-4 1.25x4 ("Fudd" style with capped turret) might be a good intro to the whole concept of an LPV on an AR.

toc
    Hmm - I'm encountering the same issue as well. Nothing on me seems to be getting younger. Curious.
    I'm turning 50 next year, and have noticed the onset of presbyopia over the past year or so. My eyes fatigue much more quickly after reading or looking at a computer screen and I have to rest them when they get blurry. The front sight of my pistol is getting harder to focus on. It's just not as sharp anymore. If you're thinking of dabbling in a LPV, I'd recommend going with a 1-x; instead of a 1.25-x. Just from my own experience, the 1.25 can get distracting at the closer range drills. Sure, the Bindon Aiming Concept works, but everyone's eyes are different and the transition between the the unmagnified image and the magnified one may not be as quick as it was when younger.

Also, I don't always update my prescription on all my glasses at the same time (I don't wear contacts), so one pair might be more current than another. That's where the ability to focus the dot and reticle to compensate for slightly uncorrected vision is very useful vs. a RDS. Getting old is a bitch.

Feedback Score
    OP here. Over the weekend I looked at Eotech and they are much better for my eyes than my RDS. But after reading replies I'm curious how my eyes would react to a tritium / fiber optic site. I want to look at a Metpro M21 but can't find anyone in my area that has them. I can't do the buying site unseen off the internet thing on a optic which costs that much. I'd like to stay married if possible.

Feedback Score
    I have an astigmatism as well. Over the years I have run Aimpoints, ACOGs and LPVs and have found they all have their place in my world. I sold the ACOC to help cover bills after emergency surgery, but would like to get another one eventually. It was very crisp and clear even without my glasses on. With the Aimpoint turned down a few brightness levels it is not too fuzzy. Currently my go to HD/gnereal purpose rifle wears a PRO. For it's given purpose it does fine. The RDS works fast and quick and it's not like I'm shooting for groups in that situation. My wife likes the Eotech XPS2 and I have used it a bit. I like it and it is a little more crisp than the RDS to my eyes, but I like that my Aimpoint is always on. My other rifle is set up for plinking/varmit hunting and it wears a 1-6 Vortex Strike Eagle. Even being a lower end optic it has the most clear sight picture for me, but is not near as fast as the RDS. The rear sight trick defiantly makes the red dot crisp, but adds more clutter to my field of view.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Getting old is a bitch.
    My mother (84 yo) has generally been a very straight-laced, almost cartoonishly proper square, but she has her moments- such as when she told me for the first time, "Anyone who tells you these are the golden years is full of shit."

I went from open irons to aperture rear irons, to the RDS and now it looks like an LPV may be the way to go. I was afraid that the 1.25x might be problematic- I fooled around with a nominally 1x handgun scope many years ago and it was kind of a PITA for me at the time, but it only makes sense that the closer to 1X it is the better.

toc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123