Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Police Academy ADA issues

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    The recruit was able to pass the qualification--barely. Her employer installed E2 grips and a short trigger.
    I can think of numerous incidents when I've watched a weak shooter shoot qual and realized with a sinking sensation they were just going to squeak by.

Sounds jerkish doesn't it? In the situation I was in recruits that didn't qualify were invited back to go through firearms training again, if their agency would send them. That meant a short time, usually 5 weeks or less, for them to work on the problems that had been uncovered, and then come back through the range program.

For the most part, those folks that just barely squeak through firearms training are going to avoid the range like a dog avoids the postman after being hit with a good dose of bear strength OC. They generally don't continue to practice. If they are of a mindset to do so, it is often hard for them to find a good instructor, because...........

Let's be honest, most agency firearms programs are not that good at turning mediocore shooters into better shooters. Many LE firearms instructors don't get beyond line running and watching targets. Often that problem shooter that barely scraped through is going to be a problem shooter as long as they are with the agency.

I had a buddy from New Yawk, he was a problem shooter when I met him, and he was a problem shooter 20 years later when he retired from his agency. The agency firearms instructors used to joke about him using all his qual attempts before shooting a qual score. They were range runners and target watchers, not coaches.

So in my view, I was glad when we got a second chance at a problem shooter. Although if they had problems academically and in the other skill areas you kind of wondered WTF the agency was thinking.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 08-14-17 at 19:41.

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Grip strength can certainly be improved but why not get the recruit a better fitting firearm?

It would be nice if every recruit was 6'-3" and 225lbs, but we all come in different sizes. In the end, going hands on is certainly a part of the job (more so in some areas than others) but I've seen plenty of sharp female cops do just fine. I've also seen bigger dudes get themselves in trouble.

I'd argue that most of what cops do requires thinking and interacting with citizens first, using force second, and using deadly force extremely rarely (in most areas).

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567