Thread: What's the M16 market doing these days?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

What's the M16 market doing these days?

I've been thinking for a while about getting a full auto. I'm definitely leaning towards an M16 type rifle because they seem to be the most versatile. Unfortunately, that seems to equate to them being significantly more expensive than other options. So what is the M16 market doing these days? Has it gone down some like the rest of the gun market? Or, is it holding steady or continuing to go up? The large machine gun dealers seem to have a decent amount of inventory on their websites. I don't remember it being that way a year ago. Of course that doesn't always equate to lower prices. Your insights are appreciated.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have been watching FA prices and inventory pretty heavily lately with a focus on an HK sear pack. There have been discussions on other sites about the "price bubble deflating" but I have not seen that yet. I have seen what seems to be a larger inventory though.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Decide what you want - factory Colt or non-Colt RR. You can find forged lower non-Colt RRs for around $18k right now. A Colt AR15 model 614 will run you $22-24k, Colt M16a1 about $25-30k depending on the model and dealer from whom you purchase.

M16s have not really dipped in price, nor have many other transferables. I think HK sears took a very slight dip (like $1-2k) but they were in a price jump phase and I think the rate of increase just slightly corrected.

Short of repeal of 922(o) and a couple other scenarios I won't mention in a public forum (don't want to give the hoplophobic statists any ideas), MGs will continue to appreciate significantly in the future. Especially M16s and HK sears/frames.

The M16 is an awesome awesome MG. While these have been posted previously I will just drop these here as well...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d5eI8TswUFg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1SdWE5y-F3w
    Last edited by JoshNC; 08-03-17 at 18:38.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Colt M16's were in a bit of a dip due to a large collection(many of which were remade by colt after the ban) went up for sale over the last year or two. They are going back up now that the collection seems to be mostly gone. M16a2's could be found for under 30 grand earlier this year, now a1's are in that range.

Now it is worth saying unless a large supply gets dropped the market doesn't really soften that much, it keeps going up. By the time you get it in your hands it is very possible that it will be worth a few grand more than you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    It definitely looks like I just need to go ahead and pull the trigger. Josh, you gave the names of some recommended dealers about a year ago. I'll contact them on Monday.

For those who have shot A1 and A2 lowers, which do you like better? I'd like on that would do FA and 3 shot burst, but I'm guessing those came around after the '86 ban.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Colt 9mm SMG's? Are they pretty much good to go forever like the M16 lowers or have they been known to develop issues?
    Last edited by Bret; 08-05-17 at 11:33.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    3 round burst on an M16 lower is terrible. The trigger feels like crap, and it also doesn't reset the burst count. This means if you hold the trigger long enough to fire 2 rounds and release, the next pull will only fire one time. This is in stark contrast to HK 4 position packs or a FNC, which reset to 3 rounds no matter how many you fire from the previous burst.

Another reason to go with the normal safe/semi/auto is that you can use the Geissele SSF, which gives you a 2 stage trigger in semi and a single stage in auto, and feels way better.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzap View Post
    Ruben (dealerNFA.com) has a NIB M16A2 safe-semi-auto for 32,995. If I were in the market for another one, there's no question that this is the one I would buy.

I bought my A2 from Ruben, and the transaction was undoubtedly the best NFA transaction I've done. He picks up the phone personally and is wonderful to deal with. There's a reason he has the great reputation he does.

I don't know if I would shoot the gun, if I bought one that was new in box. After all, if you pay a premium for it to be new. It seems like it would lose some of its value if it were no longer unfired.
    Last edited by skorittnig; 08-13-17 at 14:03. Reason: Spelling... drives me nuts.