Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the M16 market doing these days?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    If out of state and currently on a form 4, they have to form 4 it to a dealer, who can then form 3 it to your dealer, and then form 4 it to you.
    No need for the seller to form 4 it to a dealer in their state, they can form 4 it to the dealer in the buyer's state. I mean, they could involve another dealer if they wanted to, but there'd be no benefit.

Feedback Score
    they have to form 4 it to a dealer, who can then form 3 it to your dealer
    Any idea what kind of time these individual to dealer and dealer to dealer transfers are taking?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Any idea what kind of time these individual to dealer and dealer to dealer transfers are taking?
    SS posted that they were happening extremely rapidly. Like same day rapidly. Of course they're a huge dealer as well.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Individual to dealer form 4 is the same as the other way around. A form 4 is a form 4.

As others have mentioned, form 3s are supposedly being approved within a day.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Individual to dealer form 4 is the same as the other way around. A form 4 is a form 4.
    That stinks and basically doubles the time vs buying from a dealer that already has one in stock. That'd be about two years at the current rate. Ouch.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OK. Would I be correct to assume that if I bought an A2 lower I could replace the 3rd burst with FA so it would function as FA, but just be mismarked on the receiver?
    Colt M16A2s can be found marked with safe-semi-burst and safe-semi-auto. The guns with auto marked lowers command a premium. Honestly I would not pay the premium for an A2. I would instead buy a Colt M16A1 and put the money saved towards uppers, ammo, or better yet another transferable MG. If you're dead set on an A2, yes the burst FCG can be swapped out for a FA FCG. The Geissele SSF is the best you can do. It's outstanding.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccosby View Post
    No difference whatsoever in how a a1 vs a2 lower shoots. The a2 just has some extra reinforcements on it. The 9mm blowback uppers wear out lowers faster. I personally wouldn't buy a colt 9mm smg though. I'd buy the cheaper m16/a1/a2 and drop in a 9mm adapter in the magwell. If you do shoot 9mm I'd add the kns anti rotation pins.

For what its worth a2 lowers did come with auto markings as well. Colt also sold a2's marked burst with full auto fire control groups from the factory(like the 727 carbine). I'd suspect at this point most of the burst marked m16's that are transferable have had their fire control groups swapped at this point to full auto.

As far as the lowers go the only difference is the markings. It is all in the trigger group and you can swap it for whatever you want. Most people don't like the burst ones. The Geissele and now I guess pof full auto triggers seem to be the way to go for many wanting an upgrade.

You also have the now discontinued colt 4 position setup. Some will engrave auto on a burst receiver in the 4th position and put those groups in. Gives you the 3rd burst and full auto. My understanding is that the semi auto on that trigger is worst than a standard one though.
    I find the M16/9 to suck. Mags suck, spew rounds when dropped (yeah, I know don't drop loaded mags). Too choppy compared to the UZI, MP5, and MP5K. Too big for a 9mm smg. Being that I have all three I didn't bother setting my M16s in 9mm.

As for adding engraving to a factory Colt fullauto lower (any Colt factory FA lower)...be still my beating heart, that is a crime.

The Colt burst function SUCKS. I wish someone would make a SIG 55x or FNC drop in cassette type 3rb for the M16 that resets upon release of the trigger.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 08-06-17 at 22:08.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That stinks and basically doubles the time vs buying from a dealer that already has one in stock. That'd be about two years at the current rate. Ouch.
    Times are starting to drop so it wouldn't take that long. Still I'd say if possible find one on a form 3 for faster transfer to you.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    I find the M16/9 to suck. Mags suck, spew rounds when dropped (yeah, I know don't drop loaded mags). Too choppy compared to the UZI, MP5, and MP5K. Too big for a 9mm smg. Being that I have all three I didn't bother setting my M16s in 9mm.

As for adding engraving to a factory Colt fullauto lower (any Colt factory FA lower)...be still my beating heart, that is a crime.

The Colt burst function SUCKS. I wish someone would make a SIG 55x or FNC drop in cassette type 3rb for the M16 that resets upon release of the trigger.
    I generally agree about the m16 pistol caliber blowback uppers(haven't tried one of the newer di ones but I kinda want to). The OP asked about them though. Personally if he really wanted to shoot 9mm I think it would be best to buy a cheaper m16 lower and put the difference towards a m10 or m11 with a lage upper. I have a m10 in 45 and the lage upper actually makes it a nice fun gun to shoot.

As far as the engraving goes it is up to the owner. Some colt guns had the engraving later in life from the factory(including some of the lowers they remade after the ban). I've actually seen a few pictures of transferable colt lowers that have the extra engraving(that I think was added after) that were then cerokoted. Have to admit they looked good although I don't think I'd do it to mine(which is actually waiting at well known machinegun smith waiting on the form 4). I do kinda want to let him refinish my m10 though, just doesn't seem as wrong.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    A word of caution. You aren't buying an AR15, you are buying a machine gun and making a considerable investment. Considering the horror stories I have seen here and elsewhere, do your homework. In fact, would tell you to make absolutely sure to deal with a reputable dealer and if necessary have a contract done up.

I would highly recommend personally putting eyes on whatever it is you decide to buy and conducting a thorough check and if possible a test fire.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the word of caution. Though it will likely cost me more, I'll buy from a reputable dealer if I can't find one locally.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast