Thread: Decent 9mm (9x19) carbines as of 2017?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Decent 9mm (9x19) carbines as of 2017?

I'm considering getting a 9mm, 16" barrel carbine as a range toy, inexpensive practice rifle and trainer for kids ready to move past a .22 LR. I would like recommendations of what to look at. I have only a few stipulations:

-I would prefer to stay under $800, which means the SIG MPX is not high on the list, neither are the Vector HK clones.
    -Not interested in weird or junky guns, or terrible ergonomics, like current UZI, FrankenAK etc. derivatives.
    -Due to an interpretation of Michigan law, I need something that is at least 26.0" long in its shortest operable configuration. This rules out some of the folding stock carbines (like UZI) that are legal under ATF rules, because ATF measures length with a stock fully extended. (Maybe someday our state law interpretations will be legislatively forced to conform to federal interpretations of the laws they are modeled on. Someday.)
    -Currently in production. The vanilla Ruger PC9 would be an option if it were still around, but I'm not looking to pay new-gun prices for an aging discontinued used gun.

I am especially interested in comments on the factory-complete 9mm AR platforms, and some of the not-quite-AR designs like the Freedom Ordnance FX-9.
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 08-04-17 at 16:11.