Thread: Removing weld/pin on muzzle device?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Removing weld/pin on muzzle device?

I would like to try and remove a pinned & welded flash hider, specifically a Gemtech G5, from a Colt socom barrel, and keep both in usable condition with the barrel being most important.

I work in a machine shop, and have access to a vertical mill, so was thinking of using a slightly oversized carbide end mill to drill out the pin.

Anybody done this? How'd it turn out?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've done it several times without a problem. You don't have to drill out the entire pin, only enough to remove the weld. At that point, you 'may' have gently crack the MD loose. Not enough too actually rotate it but just enough to pop the pin loose. Be careful not to mess up the threads. The pin will fall out or you can use a magnet or pick to pull it out.
    I've got a thread on here somewhere where I showed the entire process.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It doesn't always go to plan, but with the right tools it is usually no problem. The more willing you are to cut out the pin and destroy the muzzle device if things don't go right, the lower your chances of damaging the barrel in my experience.

When you get through the weld the pin might spin, that will destroy your endmill. Unthreading the muzzle device usually pops it out, but might mess up the threads around the pin a bit.

Sometimes the pin won't come out by picking, magnet, or tapping upside down.
    When it was drilled some burrs could be pushed down from the muzzle device into the barrel threads, that will chew up your barrel when the muzzle device is unthreaded even after the pin is removed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. In looking at it, it looks like it was laser welded in spots around about 120 deg of the circumference of the pin. Doesn't look like much more than .010 penetration. Going to try a 1/16 or 3/32 carbide end mill. I'll take pics and relate what happens.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ok, now I'm thinking about how I'm going to hold this in my vise...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Remove the upper & clamp the barrel in the vise. You can use two wood blocks with a V notch or just wrap it in leather.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Those that I have removed, I have used an angle grinder and cut in at ~15 degrees, essentially "shaving" the weld portion off the MD. A small amount of back/forth with the MD combined with tapping and the pins have dropped out.

I build the MD back up with weld and reshape on a belt sander. Black stove paint works good for touch up.

Those that I have tried drilling were unsuccessful, the hardness of the weld played hell with the small bit. Clamping and using an end mill may result in better success.
    "Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber projectile ".

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by khc3 View Post
    I would like to try and remove a pinned & welded flash hider, specifically a Gemtech G5, from a Colt socom barrel, and keep both in usable condition with the barrel being most important.

I work in a machine shop, and have access to a vertical mill, so was thinking of using a slightly oversized carbide end mill to drill out the pin.

Anybody done this? How'd it turn out?

Explain to me how you live in GA which is an NFA friendly state but you want to mess around with this permanent flash hider nonsense.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm