Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Army Interim Combat Service Rifle RFP releases.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)

Army Interim Combat Service Rifle RFP releases.

Beginning order will be 50,000 rifles given to front line rapid deploying units, replacing the M4.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...eased-us-army/

Has the good idea fairy struck again?
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dosen't sound like it to me....
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    The M4 will be replaced with the piston-driven HK product. That is all.

The idea that it will replaced with a 7.62 NATO weapon is so laughable it doesn't even deserve a response. Oops.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Although I have not seen it, the POF Revolution seems to fit the bill for a direct size replacement for the M4 in 7.62x51. One would think that the replacement for the M4 should not be pigeon holed to the 7.62x51 make it an open competition for all the Calibers that fit in-between the 5.56 and 7.62.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...tridge-matter/

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/1...-the-pros-use/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...units-264-usa/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by krm375 View Post
    Although I have not seen it, the POF Revolution seems to fit the bill for a direct size replacement for the M4 in 7.62x51. One would think that the replacement for the M4 should not be pigeon holed to the 7.62x51 make it an open competition for all the Calibers that fit in-between the 5.56 and 7.62.
    Not ever... POF makes guns for magazine covers and the Gunsite Academy crowd. For phuck sakes, if caliber is the issue, lets just form and equip the 1st Charlie Gutsache Division. Nothing says overwhelming firepower like 10, 000 men with 84 mm man-portable multi-role recoilless rifles. The Army's caliber crap is so tiresome. Enemy body armor isn't the problem, a stomach for solving the problem is.

Feedback Score
    If the ADVAP round technology can be applied to 5.56 as well as 7.62, why the hell go in this direction? While I am not opposed to exploring new calibers for the future combat rifle/carbine, 7.62 ain't the answer. Welcome to the 1960's.....

IMHO improved 5.56 is the way to go for now to address logistical, cost, and expediency purposes.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 08-06-17 at 09:06.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am surprised they are not thinking along the lines of a WSM cartridge.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interim,...?
    So does that mean we don't have the complete answer, but we are going to take a swing at it anyway?
    I keep thinking this is a problem that might be better addressed by keeping the M4 and working on advancing the ammunition instead of a new carbine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Interim,...?
    So does that mean we don't have the complete answer, but we are going to take a swing at it anyway?
    I keep thinking this is a problem that might be better addressed by keeping the M4 and working on advancing the ammunition instead of a new carbine.
    The problem with "Interim" is that it usually ends up becoming permanent. If I recall, the M-16 was supposed to be an "Interim" solution on the way to the SPIW program coming to fruition.

I'm not an infantry guy, but there's a whole lot about this that doesn't make sense. What problem are they trying to solve? If it's a body armor problem, isn't the EPR supposed to do that?

If the problem is being outranged by PKMs, shouldn't we be considering more 240's?

A combat load of 210 rounds? Of 7.62? Yeah, that weight increase is going to go over well.

Perhaps this is a step along the way to fielding a 6mm class cartridge (.260 Rem?) for both individual weapons and support weapons.

Maybe those in the buildings with no windows know something about the possible pivot to the Pacific theater that the rest of us don't, and they need a solution real friggin quick.

Maybe it's just some general or colonel looking to move up the ladder by pushing some new program, through. Who knows?

In all honesty, it will probably end up like the last few efforts to replace the M4.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Of note, Lt. Col Dave Lutz (who was responsible for the M16A2) posted this comment on SSD's Facebook page

...can't, CAN'T, adequately design a weapon for a new round that yet exists...if the Army can't supply 1,000's of rounds to each qualified vendor, you are just wasting everyone elses time while Soldiers wait patiently...
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast