Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed carry handle optic options

Feedback Score

Fixed carry handle optic options

IMAG0313.jpg

I have never run an optic on my '95 Colt 6450 9mm rifle. It's been a bit of a safe queen, getting pulled out for some bench shooting using iron sights at 50 yards mostly, although I stick the big 100yrd targets up sometimes just to see how I can group the shots. My .223 rifles are flat tops and have Nikon magnifying optics.

I've recently become interested in IDPA and IPSC movement style competitions now that pistol caliber carbines have their own divisions. It's been recommended I use a red dot, but the fixed carry handle with a UTG adaptor and a Vortex Strikefire (first gen, I picked it up used) just seems awkward with movement using the tunnel style red dot, although I surprised myself with co witnessing it with the irons when used on the bench. So it can have its uses, but I think not in dynamic style competition.

It was suggested I get a heads up display style red dot to use with both eyes open, and the C-More Railway was recommended https://cmore.com/railway.html . Any thoughts on this optic, and has anyone mounted it on a carry handle?

Thanks for your input.

John

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've been around long enough that I saw the birth of red dot optics mounted on ARs. Back in the old days we all mounted them on the carry handle. It took a bit of time before guys started cutting off the front and top of the handle (leaving the rear sight) and mounting pic rail to the upper receiver to mount the dot.

Shooting with a tube optic on top of a carry handle can be done, and done well. You just have a greater offset and need to train for it. A "heads up" style optic will display the same offset issues. As to moving and shooting you should be keeping both eyes open not just staring through the tube thus eliminating any issues with field of view.

Feedback Score
    When I was in the service the Colt 9mm SMG was a prototype that only a few of us got our hands on (81-85). 99% of the time we trained and went in country with iron sights, although I recall (what I swear was Colt branded) 4x scope that mounted on the top of a few. My brother bought the above mentioned 6450 for use while a police officer, but sold it to me a few years after purchase. It sat a lot.

Since that time, I've been a bench shooter, and am just getting into using Red Dots when I retired as a fed a few months ago. You make a good point: whether PCC or .223 rifle, I need to train properly and bring the tool to me, and not chase the tool. Seems I need some professional services to get some coaching.

I AM curious about the C-More system, if you have input on that.

Thanks for your time.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    C-More is old school tech. Pass. If you absolutely need the carry handle, you can get a gooseneck mount for an aimpoint and mount it forward of the carry handle.

Or, be part of the fold, spend $100 and get a flat top and go from there. YOu will thank me later if you get the flat top and upgrade your rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    C-More is old school tech. Pass. If you absolutely need the carry handle, you can get a gooseneck mount for an aimpoint and mount it forward of the carry handle.

Or, be part of the fold, spend $100 and get a flat top and go from there. YOu will thank me later if you get the flat top and upgrade your rifle.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. If I buy a NEW 9 mm in flat top it will cost me approximately $1,000, not $100. Perhaps that's what you meant. Actually, I've had my eye on a colt 6951, which is a flat top in 9mm. I like the older Colt pattern with the round handguards...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boss281 View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. If I buy a NEW 9 mm in flat top it will cost me approximately $1,000, not $100. Perhaps that's what you meant. Actually, I've had my eye on a colt 6951, which is a flat top in 9mm. I like the older Colt pattern with the round handguards...

Forward assist version (pretty sure your BCG doesn't have the forward assist notches)

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod80474.aspx

No forward assist (this is what I am currently using on my 9mm carbine, you will need a port door for the asembly though, linked second)

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...7cMake_3=AR-15

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod26121.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    Ahhhh, got it. I'm not a "builder" and the low cost of the upper receiver threw me off. I can see that makes for an inexpensive fix to the issue.

That said, I want to keep this older gem complete, and am putting away cash for the Colt 6951. The 6450 is a good rifle, but I'll just keep it around for occasional iron sight short distance work at the range--in fact, I may shoot my first PCC match in IDPA using the irons. I see they actually have subdivision for that! Thanks for the input, again...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    FYI - Trijicon makes a neat carry handle mount for the RMR.

IMG_1456.JPG
    Last edited by HCM; 08-07-17 at 23:51.

Feedback Score
    I have to decide if i want to put $500+ into a new 9mm rifle with flattop and reuse my optic, or use my current rifle with new optic...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    If you absolutely need the carry handle, you can get a gooseneck mount for an aimpoint and mount it forward of the carry handle.
    This is a pretty decent set up. The QRP2 mount (with spacer removed) on the gooseneck sits a little high to use the irons with one of the tube Aimpoints (Comp M2, M3, PRO etc) when the dot is mounted, but simple to unscrew it. This is due to the QRP2 with 30mm ring being somewhere between lower 1/3 and absolute.

The 1st gen QRP (again, with spacer removed) sits lower than the newer one does so the irons are useable with the dot installed.

I assume a Comp M4 sans QRP2 spacer sits at the same height as the original QRP.

Unless I am mistaken, you will also want to add an aperture with the large hole such as an A2, XS, or the older low light level rear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast