Thread: Initial review of Zenith MKE Z-5RS package - Lots of pics

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Initial review of Zenith MKE Z-5RS package - Lots of pics

I picked up a MKE Z-5RS imported by Zenith recently. My father had an Hk94 back in the 80's and ever since then I have always wanted one of my own. Since Hk94 rifles are basically made out of unobtainium these days and are priced in the stratosphere when they do come up I got this one.

It was a package that came with a very nice discreet carry case. This model has the Samson Tri-rail and SB Tactical brace installed either at the factory by MKE or more than likely by Zenith after importation. It came with 3 mags, bore snake, oil, scope mount, blank end cap, two extra take down pins, 3-point sling and manual and warranty paperwork. The paperwork says it was manufactured on March of 2017.

The overall fit and finish is excellent. The quality control on my example appears to be excellent. Everything is as it should be on a weapon that costs this much. The finish is not as shiny as factory Hk's I have seen but it is very close. Supposedly it is parked first then the final finish is applied over that. The finish is even and smooth all over the pistol with no imperfections present on my sample. The quality of the welds, something Hk fans are sticklers about, are even and done very well.

The pistol came with very little lubrication on the inside from MKE. I disassembled it and cleaned it then lubed/greased it. The action is now smooth but not as smooth as I recall my old Hk94 had. I am sure with use it will break in and become much better.

The SB Tactical brace is excellent and locks firmly open with the push button. The adapter is made by B&T and is a hard polymer that fits very snugly on the pistol. The rest of the brace is made of a flexible rubber compound made for or by SB Tactical. It is essentially the same brace with a different mounting adapter I have on a Cz Scorpion Evo pistol. The main difference is that this brace includes a sling mount that does not rotate while the brace that fits the Evo does not have this feature. It folds to the right side of the pistol but does not lock into place. The friction from the hinge holds it in place. It does allow for the pistol to be fired with the brace folded.

The Samson Tri-rail is firmly attached and has zero movement. It is nicely finished with no tool marks or chatter visible to me. It does not come covered in the same factory finish as the rest of the Z-5RS and I suspect it is mounted after importation. It still looks good on the pistol and feels fine. I do not think heat will be much of an issue as I do not plan on doing mag dumps with it. The original skinny and wide Hk hand guards do not have heat shields in them so I wont worry about it too much.

The lower is an SEF A2 design with two pins which requires both pins to be removed for disassembly. Hk94 rifles used one pin and had metal lowers. This looks like but is not an NFA lower. It only has two positions for the selector, safe and fire. The pins are not captive and care needs to be taken not to loose them although MKE included a spare set which is nice. The rear pin is exceptionally tight and I needed three arms and 4 hands to press the spring in on the pin and drive the pin out with a plastic punch and a tap from a small mallet.

The barrel is cold hammer forged 32 chrome molybdenum vanadium. With a twist rate of 1:9.8 and is 8.9 inches long. It comes with a 3-lug quick attachment and 1/2×28 threaded end with thread protector. Adding a suppressor to this pistol would be very simple.

The trigger is typical of this design and is a bit long but does not feel gritty. When it does break it feels good without being stagey.

I plan on keeping it as a pistol and adding a RDS and a 3-lug flash hider to it just because I like how that looks.

I only have two complaints thus far. The first being a small mark deformation on the spine near the markings but it isn't anything to worry about. The other being I wish MKE/Zenith would have included a rear site adjustment tool. For the price of these weapons they could have added one and considering all the extras you do actually get with them its a very minor complaint. More like a suggestion.

Untitled by Fuzzy Reticle, on Flickr
    35592861474_400773c417_z by Fuzzy Reticle, on Flickr
    35592861774_87e25d6327_z by Fuzzy Reticle, on Flickr
    36259439092_93ddc3fff3_z by Fuzzy Reticle, on Flickr
    36031316830_8c0c84fda6_z by Fuzzy Reticle, on Flickr
    36427766255_971f4be4c8_z by Fuzzy Reticle, on Flickr
    Little dingus on the top.
    35592950334_e364f063e8_z by Fuzzy Reticle, on Flickr
    36382480836_f0f4316da5_z by Fuzzy Reticle, on Flickr
    36291064131_d3c1fe3716_z by Fuzzy Reticle, on Flickr
    36259440852_c0c7d63fde_z by Fuzzy Reticle, on Flickr
    35592950694_239a1d6aaf_z by Fuzzy Reticle, on Flickr
    35592861924_7971644ba2_z by Fuzzy Reticle, on Flickr
    Last edited by Fuzzy-Reticle; 08-07-17 at 13:07.
    "Run fast. Shoot straight. Die proud." -Boba Fett

Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems." -Ryan Job

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Congrats!

Now go shoot it and Form 1 it. When RTG gets more POF mags in stock up, otherwise most have been having good luck with Korean mags (some have weak springs, but they're easy to replace).

I love my Z5RS, my stamp is only a few months out.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That is a beauty. I love my SP5K, but I have debated buying this exact Z5-RS as it looks like HK will never release this model of the MP5 again.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Initial review of Zenith MKE Z-5RS package - Lots of pics

How much did you get it for? If you don't mind me asking.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    How much did you get it for? If you don't mind me asking.
    It was listed at $2300 but I did some horse trading for it.
    "Run fast. Shoot straight. Die proud." -Boba Fett

Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems." -Ryan Job