Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for information on upper/lower wobble.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Looking for information on upper/lower wobble.

Can anyone direct me to a source of information that discusses and/or tests the irrelevance of upper to lower wobble in the AR FOW?

MM

Feedback Score
    It doesn't affect anything. Go shoot it

Feedback Score
    Can't point you to a source, but I shot NRA National Match Service Rifle for years, and when the AR 15/M16 platform was just starting I didn alot of testing. I came up with it makes no difference.

Tight fit, loose fit, makes no nevermind in accuracy.

I do prefer no wobble, just for the feel, so I do tighten it up with an accuwedge.

Feedback Score
    Op makes me wonder... if it's sloppy and you have the upper making no contact with anything, will it affect accuracy?

Everyone says it doesn't matter, but I assume those testing it had a bipod or forensic secured on a bench. What if it's not? I know it's not very practical, but from a purely curious pov.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    It doesn't affect anything. Go shoot it
    Oh I'm well aware it makes no difference, I was looking for empirical data or sources to offer those who seem to think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by AR-n-Ky View Post
    Can't point you to a source, but I shot NRA National Match Service Rifle for years, and when the AR 15/M16 platform was just starting I didn alot of testing. I came up with it makes no difference.

Tight fit, loose fit, makes no nevermind in accuracy.

I do prefer no wobble, just for the feel, so I do tighten it up with an accuwedge.
    Thanks for your post!

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Op makes me wonder... if it's sloppy and you have the upper making no contact with anything, will it affect accuracy?

Everyone says it doesn't matter, but I assume those testing it had a bipod or forensic secured on a bench. What if it's not? I know it's not very practical, but from a purely curious pov.
    If you're shooting offhand you likely have the rifle seated into the shoulder which should remove any play between receivers as well. Not to mention that you won't be able to notice any POI shift when shooting offhand.

MM

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Oh I'm well aware it makes no difference, I was looking for empirical data or sources to offer those who seem to think otherwise.
    Which begs the question what do those who think otherwise have to demonstrate that it is an issue? Any data or empirical evidence if their own?

I have no scientific data just my experiences in NRA service rifle and things taught to me by some good shooters. Its psychological. If you are holding the AR in any sort of proper shooting fashion its not going to rock around unless you induce it. If it bothers you by all means do something about it, confidence in your equipment is good. Just dont fall into the trap of blaming equipment for shooter errors or under performance.

I used an accuwedge for a bit, purely for the confidence in equipment (even greased the main spring too!). I loved how solid the rifle felt but nothing changed score wise (I was shooting in master class) however my rifle became difficult to just pop open for maintenance, now requiring a punch of sorts. Doesnt sound like a big deal but popped primers can and did happen in competition (hot handloads) and it was important to be able to quickly clear the inevitable jammed trigger so as to not be "that guy" holding up the line with not only an alibi round but now also more time spent fumbling with the rifle. I ditched the accuwedge and again nothing changed except I now appreciated some play. Your mileage will almost certainly vary.
    Last edited by sgtrock82; 08-07-17 at 23:57.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A quote on upper to lower receive fit: "You can get them too tight, but you can't get them too loose to shoot well", Bill Wylde. Source: The Competitive AR15, Glen Zediker, Page 56. Bill Wylde is an expert on Service Rifles, barrel design, etc. He's fired some incredibly small groups with the AR15.
    Last edited by T2C; 08-08-17 at 08:27.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Sights are attached to the upper.

The barrel is attached to the upper.

The bullet is sent through the upper.

To anyone claiming otherwise, find the nearest rope to urinate up.

Feedback Score
    To clarify, I'm wondering if an extremely loose upper could alter harmonics as you are introducing a pivot point, assuming front pin is tight and rear is loose. Again, from a purely thorierical POV.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You don't need sources or testing. Its just basic physics, it can't make a difference. Everything that matters is in/on the upper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast