Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Receiver extension inner diameter help

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Receiver extension inner diameter help

Hello all. Not sure if I should put this in a different section, but hoping someone has some information.

Short version: Is anyone aware of a receiver extension/buffer tube that works with normal threads, but has a slightly larger inner diameter?

I measured some of mine and they are ridiculously close to 1" (25.6mm on my calipers for the one I measured), and I would really like to find one that has an extra 1/16th or even 1/8th of an inch. Thinner wall material is OK, as long as it is reasonably strong. If I am honest, I would prefer metal, but the "RE" on a MP 15-22 is probably strong enough.

This is for a non-AR range toy, but due to my end goal and butt stock choices, a buffer would make things simple. I dont need mil-spec quality (material) or strength, so I am ok with most anything that will handle reasonable bang around the trunk/hiking treatment, but not abuse, and commercial or .mil (or even some other near standard) and I can modify the stock of choosing to fit.

Thanks!

Matt

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    In as few words as possible... What exactly is your end goal?

Feedback Score
    OP are you trying to adapt an ar stock to something else with a slightly larger OD than the RE ID?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    In as few words as possible... What exactly is your end goal?
    Short version, I want to stick a .22 can in the RE. Can is 1" OD.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    OP are you trying to adapt an ar stock to something else with a slightly larger OD than the RE ID?
    The stock is not the concern, as I am OK doing some work on an AR stock get it to fix. Its not like expect to find a RE with 1.5" OD to try to adapt a stock to.

All may be a pipe-dream with better alternatives, but I wanted to flesh out an idea before skipping over it.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Here is a print for both commercial and mil tubes. https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/co...nces/4-455289/ As you see starting with a commercial would be the way to go. You just need to find someone to bore it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Hmmmmmmm.

This may be something you'd have to order. unless I am mistaken, it seems most are forgings.

If you order something custom, I think it would be bada** to see the collapsing buttstock be pulled off and a perfectly milled compartment, to your suppressor, is milled in with a little spring latch. Push the latch up, can pops out, replace the stock and screw on.

Nonetheless, this concept sounds pretty awesome to me. If you can get a "oversize" RE, you just trim down a buffer spring and your buffer pin will hold it in place just fine... If it has one that is. No experience with that.
    ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Here is a print for both commercial and mil tubes. https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/co...nces/4-455289/ As you see starting with a commercial would be the way to go. You just need to find someone to bore it.
    I wonder what it would cost for someone to bore it out the extra 1/8th inch.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 09-01-17 at 11:42.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    I wonder what it would cost for someone to bore it out the extra 1/8th inch.
    BLUF: the tube thickness is supposed to be .085. 1/8th inch is .125. Ain't going to happen.

I'm not a blueprint guy, but one thing seems constant between the commercial and mil-spec RE's - the 1.00" ID

The OD on the commercial is between 1.163 - 1.173 with the sweet spot being 1.170 considering the .085 ref tube thickness.

There isn't enough material to bore 1/8th, or really any appreciable amount.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    GH41 - thanks for the link to the info, I already have the sizes, I was hoping someone knew of a proprietary tube that might work for the project. I thought about a commercial and boring it out, thanks to the thicker walls, but as 26 Inf points out, the extra material is not anywhere near enough to make a difference.

HeruMew - I thought it would be pretty cool too. This is a 10/22 project, and I was thinking about an AGP takedown kit, and the barrel in the stock storage compartment was what led me down this line of thinking. Their opening is much to small to even consider it, but there are some great mini-chassis systems with AR adapters that I was thinking about.

XLR has a proprietary buffer tube, and I was hoping it would be a larger I.D. to go with the slightly larger OD, but no such luck.
    https://xlrindustries.com/collection...ts/buffer-tube

With that said, it comes in at 1.233" in diameter, with a 1" ID, so theoretically I could have the rear portion (behind the threads) milled out, and I could pick up a little better than 1/16th of an inch, so that might be the best option if I end up going that route.

Obvious answer is to buy one of the few .920" .22 suppressors and keep everything else much simpler, but the most commonly available one I have found is the Radical Firearms, and it has a greater FRP on pistols, and I dont really want to pay a stamp on a can that I dont really want...

But that isnt really pertinent to the technical aspects of the question, which are simply an off-the-wall question about an out of spec/not spec AR based receiver extension...

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Edit reread and google.

Can you put the can in the stock instead of the tube?
    Maybe find a tube that will work and have it threaded?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-01-17 at 16:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's a little late now, but now that I know what you are doing, I just slipped my SilencerCo WarlockII into a mil-spec buffer tube I had laying in the parts bin. Slid right in and out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast