Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USO vs Nightforce

Feedback Score

USO vs Nightforce

Re-doing (and rethinking) my optics for my ARs and Scar 17. A background, have 2 ARs, one has a RDS, and the other a 1-6x variable. My scar 17 currently needs an optic. I'm deciding whether to go a dedicated long range optic (something in the 3 or 5-x) or looking at something like the USO BT 10 or NF 2.5-10x just so I have the option of reaching longer but keeping the weight down.

Any thoughts? Also, any reviews of the USO 1.8-10s or the NF? I know USO is FFP and the NF is SFP in those particular models.

Feedback Score
    My opinion, you cant go wrong with either...I hang out at the FN forums also, and the NF 2.5-10 is a popular choice on the 17..I run a TA 55 acog on mine...I dont have time one those exact models, but I do have a USO SN3 on my bolt gun...Great glass and built like a tank. If it were me I'd go USO, but I think they are more cash than the NF

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigten109 View Post
    Re-doing (and rethinking) my optics for my ARs and Scar 17. A background, have 2 ARs, one has a RDS, and the other a 1-6x variable. My scar 17 currently needs an optic. I'm deciding whether to go a dedicated long range optic (something in the 3 or 5-x) or looking at something like the USO BT 10 or NF 2.5-10x just so I have the option of reaching longer but keeping the weight down.

Any thoughts? Also, any reviews of the USO 1.8-10s or the NF? I know USO is FFP and the NF is SFP in those particular models.
    I would look at the new line of USO. They are very nice and have they have made some great upgrades. NightForce is a good scope but they have not progresses with the latest tech as some of the other companies have done.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    I have the NF 2.5-10x42 and the new USO B-17. Optically, the USO is superior, has better lumination, and I prefer the erek 2 elevation turret. The windage turret is a little sticky.

The NF has a much nicer finish on it and isn't far behind optically. On my long range AR, I prefer the USO to the NF due to the higher clarity and magnification.

If I were limiting myself to the 10x offerings, it would be a tougher choice. The uso is a good bit heavier and longer. And I prefer the NF's SFP design, makes the 2.5x very usable. I imagine the uso will be better to look through and cheaper than the x42 NF.

Feedback Score
    I use an uso sr8c on my scar 17. The 1-8x really comes in handy for me. It's a tough optic that gives me the close to mid range that I want out of the gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDylan View Post
    I have the NF 2.5-10x42 and the new USO B-17. Optically, the USO is superior, has better lumination, and I prefer the erek 2 elevation turret. The windage turret is a little sticky.

The NF has a much nicer finish on it and isn't far behind optically. On my long range AR, I prefer the USO to the NF due to the higher clarity and magnification.

If I were limiting myself to the 10x offerings, it would be a tougher choice. The uso is a good bit heavier and longer. And I prefer the NF's SFP design, makes the 2.5x very usable. I imagine the uso will be better to look through and cheaper than the x42 NF.
    Any other suggestions in that magnification range? Also, I got an email back from uso, the exit pupil for the B10 is 3.2mm across all magnifications.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigten109 View Post
    Any other suggestions in that magnification range? Also, I got an email back from uso, the exit pupil for the B10 is 3.2mm across all magnifications.
    I have been a huge fan of March Tactical for some time. Their 1-10X is very nice for a SFP. They also have a FFP 1-8X.
    https://www.bearbasin.net/category_s/3536.htm
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    What about a 3-12 mag, does anyone think I'm losing out a lot on weight or FOV by jumping up in magnification?

Feedback Score
    We had scopes from both of these companies. Only the NF never failed us.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    NightForce is a good scope but they have not progresses with the latest tech as some of the other companies have done.
    I disagree with this, unless we're just discussing the 2.5-10x only, or the NXS line only; in which case I'd agree that it isn't as advanced as other lines.
    The ATAC-R line is absolutely cutting edge state of the art, and I would not at all consider a 4-16x 42mm objective lens to be overkill on a SCAR-H.
    NF in general has excellent image, second to none in click value accuracy, excellent zero-stop setup, and the most current reticles (specifically T3).

The NF ATACR 4-16x 42mm is 30oz, and 12.6" long.
    The USO 1.8-10x is 29.3 oz, and 13" long.
    So, there isn't much advantage with going to the USO on weight or length, unless a low power of 2x is in some way a significant advantage (which is a hard sell considering the reticle options).

For a Mk17 though, I'd lean toward something more in the 1-6/1-8 area.
    I've shot t Leupold Mk6 1-6s out to 1200, and the BDC is good to go.
    I have held a long relationship with the Mk8 1.1-8x with H27D reticle, and I think that it is the single most capable 1-8x in real world application that is currently available (8/10/2017).

However, to give the OP a good recommendation, I would ask for some additional detail:
    What target/target size do you want to hit at what distance under what conditions?
    What additional enablers/accessories pertinent to firearm employment will you be using?
    What pertinent past optics experience do you have? What 1-6 do you have? What do you like/dislike about that 1-6?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast