Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USO vs Nightforce

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I disagree with this, unless we're just discussing the 2.5-10x only, or the NXS line only; in which case I'd agree that it isn't as advanced as other lines.
    The ATAC-R line is absolutely cutting edge state of the art, and I would not at all consider a 4-16x 42mm objective lens to be overkill on a SCAR-H.
    NF in general has excellent image, second to none in click value accuracy, excellent zero-stop setup, and the most current reticles (specifically T3).

The NF ATACR 4-16x 42mm is 30oz, and 12.6" long.
    The USO 1.8-10x is 29.3 oz, and 13" long.
    So, there isn't much advantage with going to the USO on weight or length, unless a low power of 2x is in some way a significant advantage (which is a hard sell considering the reticle options).

For a Mk17 though, I'd lean toward something more in the 1-6/1-8 area.
    I've shot t Leupold Mk6 1-6s out to 1200, and the BDC is good to go.
    I have held a long relationship with the Mk8 1.1-8x with H27D reticle, and I think that it is the single most capable 1-8x in real world application that is currently available (8/10/2017).

However, to give the OP a good recommendation, I would ask for some additional detail:
    What target/target size do you want to hit at what distance under what conditions?
    What additional enablers/accessories pertinent to firearm employment will you be using?
    What pertinent past optics experience do you have? What 1-6 do you have? What do you like/dislike about that 1-6?
    This is excellent info. Thank you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I disagree with this, unless we're just discussing the 2.5-10x only, or the NXS line only; in which case I'd agree that it isn't as advanced as other lines.
    The ATAC-R line is absolutely cutting edge state of the art, and I would not at all consider a 4-16x 42mm objective lens to be overkill on a SCAR-H.
    NF in general has excellent image, second to none in click value accuracy, excellent zero-stop setup, and the most current reticles (specifically T3).

So, there isn't much advantage with going to the USO on weight or length, unless a low power of 2x is in some way a significant advantage (which is a hard sell considering the reticle options).

I have held a long relationship with the Mk8 1.1-8x with H27D reticle, and I think that it is the single most capable 1-8x in real world application that is currently available (8/10/2017).

However, to give the OP a good recommendation, I would ask for some additional detail:
    What target/target size do you want to hit at what distance under what conditions?
    What additional enablers/accessories pertinent to firearm employment will you be using?
    What pertinent past optics experience do you have? What 1-6 do you have? What do you like/dislike about that 1-6?
    I was referring to the NSX line. That is all I have used. I have not used the ATAC-R yet.

I did not think that the OP was looking at higher powered optics. I do have to agree with you on your assessment of the Leupold MK 6 and 8. That is what I would lean towards for that rifle.

And NF really need to update their NSX line. The 1-4 I had 12 years ago was second only to the Short Dot. Now there are a ton of optics out there at half the price that are so much better.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think Nightforce would not be hurting themselves to discontinue the NXS line. They're outdated and over-priced.

I suggested that they upgrade the NXS Compact 2.5-10X42 with ED glass, cap the windage, ship it with Tenebraex caps, and put it with the ATACR line. The 2.5-10X42 is a good step up from the X24 and X32, the side focus and Digillum sets them apart from the other NXS's. It's about my favorite scope in that power range, if they would do a Mil-C reticle in it, it would be even better.

They seriously need to do something with their 1-4. I have one and it's not going anywhere, but it's like shooting with an antique now. Yellow glass and fish eye at 1X.

The ATACR line though? The 4-16X42 F1 is a helluva scope. I ended up with two, and like 'em more every time I use 'em. Clear, resolve well, easy to get behind at any magnification. Just well thought out scopes in every way.

I have a 5-25 on a 6.5CM and it's a great scope but it tunnels from 5-7, so it's effectively a 7-25.

I've spent some time with the 7-35 and it's impressive. The FOV gets down there with the 5-25 and the extra 10X is actually usable in the right conditions. From 10-25X it's beautiful.

The only quirk with the ATACR is the whole ocular rotates when you change magnification. It's easier to deal with on gas guns, but can become a PITA on a bolt if you're changing mag a lot.

I'm not a christmas tree guy, but the Mil-R is a decent reticle, the Mil-C is a pretty damn good reticle. When it's available in the 4-16 I may have mine swapped out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    They seriously need to do something with their 1-4. I have one and it's not going anywhere, but it's like shooting with an antique now. Yellow glass and fish eye at 1X.
    Oh come on. Are you trolling? Because you can't be serious with those comments without losing every shred of credibility. The nxs 1-4 is probably the finest optic in that range in the world. It's not an antique, the glass is perfectly clear and it's a true 1x. If you actually have any of those issues I'd look to get your scope serviced. The ONLY reason on this Earth someone would settle for something else is if they want daylight bright illumination. Otherwise, this glass is unmatched, and your comments are not only completely wrong, they're insulting

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've use four NXS 1-4s and they're a dated optic now. If you think they have world class glass you need to look at some of the 1-6s on the market now.

The only LPV I own is an NXS 1-4, it's a great optic by itself, but compared to S&B, Vortex, Kahles, Leupold MK6 VX3i, it's lacking.

Feedback Score

Thank you so much, and I appreciate all the others' comments but this one hit the nail on the spot.

I want to be able to consistently hit ipsc size targets at 400-800 (realistic goals for the MK17 for my shooting and for my skills I believe). In terms of other accessories, I don't think I will be putting anything anything else on the MK17 except maybe a NVD attachment to the scope or maybe an IR device

My past experiences for optics include an aimpoint micro (which currently resides on one of my ARs) a Kahles k16i (which resides on my other AR). There is nothing I dislike about the kahles at all, spectacular glass, great reticle, tracks well, spectacular FOV and the most forgiving eyebox I have ever seen. I guess I'm looking for something different than the kahles in case I want to use the mk17 for something a little further out and I am wishing for some more magnification, or maybe to swap out with the AR if I want more magnification, but you are correct, I can always put the kahles on the MK17.

The MK8 CQBSS is an interesting thought, as I've only heard good things about this scope. As is the ATACR. Vortex in this range is way too heavy (40oz +) although I've also heard only great things about their gen II razr. I guess if I'm getting into this type of territory I might as well throw in the S&B PM II 3-12, MINOX ZP5, and maybe just maybe, the theta 315. I was looking at the steiner MP series but heard maybe the optical quality is a little behind the previously mentioned.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have the NF NSX 2.5-10x24 and offset RDS on my Scar 17.

But my selection combined overall form factor with desired magnification, and it is as small as most 1-4s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12