Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools for barrel dimpling for gas block

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Tools for barrel dimpling for gas block

I'm looking for some advice/ideas on a good drill press and the proper jig/fixture for supporting the barrel when drilling the dimple for the gas block. I have the BRDE gas block drilling jig. For those of you that have experience with this, do you have some way of "limiting" the downward pressure on the drill press to prevent drilling too deep.

NC

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Every drill press I've used or seen comes with some sort of depth control mechanism. Often just a simple adjustable rod.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I dimpled a Ballistic Advantage barrel a couple days ago with BRDE jig, and it was quite simple. I didn't use the drill press' depth stop, though once I'd completed the first dimple, I definitely could have set it for the second one. I also see no reason why, if the barrel can be secured well, you couldn't use a hand drill if you take your time.

You shouldn't need a multi-axis machinist vice to hold the barrel. Any drill press vise with tall enough jaws to hold the barrel should work.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-07-17 at 22:24.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Geez. I just used s punch and a hand drill.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Geissele, in their gas block installation instructions, recommends using a hand drill without mentioning any sort of jig.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As several have mentioned, it is an easy task. Here are the Geissele instructions gunnerblue mentioned:

https://d3cfki0l5o2ps6.cloudfront.ne...s-block-ai.pdf

The instructions that Geissele and ALG prvide with their products are superb IMO, the how to on dimpling the gasblock works on all types.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Geez. I just used s punch and a hand drill.
    Well now, I won't lie...I have additional use for a drill press or small mill, beyond dimpling barrels.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    As several have mentioned, it is an easy task. Here are the Geissele instructions gunnerblue mentioned:

https://d3cfki0l5o2ps6.cloudfront.ne...s-block-ai.pdf

The instructions that Geissele and ALG prvide with their products are superb IMO, the how to on dimpling the gasblock works on all types.
    I've read those instructions. I believe you and MarkM when you say you have successfully used a hand drill to do your barrel dimpling. I'm not sure I'm personally comfortable doing this sort of work with a hand drill. I also have other uses for a press/mini mill. One can never have enough tools! Mrs. NightChief will be ecstatic!

Feedback Score
    I just used an SLR jig, a drill press vise, and a hand drill. I went REAL slow and did not use too much downward pressure. It was much easier than I thought.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Use a hand drill, go slow, and use a little oil. For softer steel (stainless) just about any drill bit will work. For harder steel (nitride surfaces) a good sharp HSS, or better drill bit is a must to get through the hard surface. Pick a bit size/diameter that just fits in the jig hole. Periodically check the depth visually. When the area you are cutting drilling turns perfectly round you have hit maximum depth/diameter. You can usually stop sooner than that, but don't go any deeper, as it provides no more additional area for the set screw to sit in.

I have the BRDE and SLR jigs, and I prefer the SLR jig as it comes standard with the removable bolt as the drilling hole guide. The bolt can be removed to check your work as you make the dimple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast