Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Knives, what is a decent set?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Kitchen Knives, what is a decent set?

Mostly weekend warrior type cooking. Anything Cajun style, to prepping meat and fish for the smoker.

Never had a nice kitchen set of knives and would really like a set.

When I first got married I had a Buck 119, Schrade fillet knife, a ceramic folder, an ulu, and a caper for my kitchen set. That set of course had to get swapped out for a set from target or wherever. Well, those knives are long gone and my bachelor set has made its way back into the block.

I want to get a nice set now and look more civilized.

I am fine spending $300-$500 for a good set. I don't need the scissors or the sharpening steel ( I have an old ceramic limit switch cover for that!)

Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd check out Cutco off the top of my head. US made, my mother has sworn by them, and the ones she has had for a number of years now are ones of the few that have not made there way to me to be sharpened. And she cooks. A lot. Like feed 300 people in one day a lot. Might be a bit over your budget for a set, am not sure. But they are nice, and at least last I knew US made, which was a big thing for her since she tries to buy US made only which means a number of cutcos, other older US made knives, and one custom big mofo she was given by a guy in thanks for doing so much cooking.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Interested as well. We've got a set from Target and I usually waste time in Bed, Bath and Beyond looking at knife sets when I have to go in there with the wife. I've wanted a nicer set for a while.

Feedback Score
    Expensive, but love my two Cutco knives and have used them first choice for two decades now.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    http://www.wusthof.com/products/knives?knives=true#/1 Buy what you want not a set. I have been collecting them for 30 years. Buy once cry once.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Another vote for Cutco. I actually sold these during the summer months in college. I still have my set and 25+ years later they are still like new.
    Last edited by flenna; 08-09-17 at 20:56.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Cutco is nice, and I have a real fondness for Wusthof as well.

I paid a lot of money to put my son through culinary arts school, and he is an excellent chef. He basically pics out individual knives, rather than buying sets.

Some of the Shun knives are very nice, they are the people that own Kershaw and Zero Tolerance. I have a couple of the Shun knives along with MesserMeister, Wusthof and Henckels.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a Henckles set that works for me but I am no culinary artist, just everyday kitchen stuff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have wusthof. The one with the two little caricatures instead of one. Good knives but I also just use random military knives. They work!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bought what is listed as the Cutco Galley + 6 set in the current catalog about 15 years ago. A friends daughter was selling them on commission to help pay for college. I think we paid about 600.00

We've had them sharpened twice by different representatives who called us wanting to stop buy and sharpen them and demo different new items. We've added a cheese knife combo and an ice cream scoop as a result of those visits.

Small sets are my go to wedding presents for nieces and nephews.

Perfect example of buy once cry once.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast