Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What's a good rifle for my 16 year old?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terreythompson View Post
    My son's birthday is coming up and all he's been talking about is me getting him an AR-15, but I was thinking maybe it's too much gun for him. Was wondering if people thought maybe a .22 LR would be a more suitable option. I've been trying to do my homework on both cuz I'm not that familiar with either. I've always been more a handgun fan myself, but that's more for blowing off some steam. My kid wants the rapid fire experience. I checked out this article ( https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-ar-15-for-the-money/) about “the best AR-15” choices available, but I'm still not sure. Was wondering if any of y'all have had experiences with one (or more) of these?? Since I'm on a fixed income, I'm thinking bout getting the Aero Precision, but I dont want to skimp if it means it's not as good of a gun. Any thoughts?
    I got a Ruger M77 in .338 Winchester Magnum when I was 15 years old (still have it). That is far more gun than an AR. Granted, I was proficient with a rifle before age 10. Buy him a Colt 6920, a 10 pack of PMags, and a little ammo to get him started, and have him get a job so he can feed his rapid fire experience. He'll have a an heirloom quality rifle and get some good life experience to boot. Here's a current thread about the Colt Trooper 6920: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...t-6920-Trooper

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Another vote for the Colt 6920.

He will have it a lifetime and always remember that 16th bday present (I can even picture him breaking it out years down the road showing his son that pappy got him this when he showed responsibility- which will be passed down to your grandkids) . I personally would not ever let him handle it alone and only range time with you teaching him safety-until he moves out- he will understand it's still "his firearm". Even if you trust him, don't trust his friends.

Quality, priced right and a dad who knows what's up. Kids are learning basic shooting and safety with 22lr at 4-5 yrs old these days. Your a good dad!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345