Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a good rifle for my 16 year old?

Feedback Score

What's a good rifle for my 16 year old?

My son's birthday is coming up and all he's been talking about is me getting him an AR-15, but I was thinking maybe it's too much gun for him. Was wondering if people thought maybe a .22 LR would be a more suitable option. I've been trying to do my homework on both cuz I'm not that familiar with either. I've always been more a handgun fan myself, but that's more for blowing off some steam. My kid wants the rapid fire experience. I checked out this article ( https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-ar-15-for-the-money/) about “the best AR-15” choices available, but I'm still not sure. Was wondering if any of y'all have had experiences with one (or more) of these?? Since I'm on a fixed income, I'm thinking bout getting the Aero Precision, but I dont want to skimp if it means it's not as good of a gun. Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Colt 6920 just because you can get them fairly cheap right now and someone was going to say it anyway. Other than that Sionics, great company, I liked the fact that when I called with questions they answered right away and were very helpful. Also liked the fact that when you call you hear hammering and other stuff getting done in the background.
    Last edited by Fatt Tony; 08-08-17 at 12:44.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Welcome to the forum!

You say 'My kid wants the rapid fire experience.' Has he shot before? It is difficult for someone to give good advice without some knowledge of the folks involved breadth of experience.

Perhaps a trip to a range that rents AR's would be a good first step, if there is such an animal in your area. Maybe you have a friend with an AR that would take you guys out.

Most would steer you away from the Aero Precision and towards the Colt for a first rifle.

Right now a lot of folks think that these are a pretty good deal @ 699.99: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...s-on-Gunbroker

Here is a link to an active auction, there are 11 left in this batch: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/678638995

Additionally, if you feel that a .22 AR would be a good starting point, you can buy drop in conversions for the 5.56 Colt: https://www.cmmginc.com/product-cate...nversion-kits/

That would allow you to switch back and forth after a thorough cleaning.

I'm sure there will be other knowledgable folks along to give you their view. Read everything and build your knowledge.

Good Luck!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    You realize in 2 years he can join the military and shoot a real M4, right?

16 is, physically, probably OK. Mentally, that's up to you.
    Last edited by Caduceus; 08-08-17 at 12:16.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Colt 6920 is the best bang for the buck.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Does he know how to shoot well? If not, I'd go with a .22. He can learn the fundamentals and have the 'rapid fire experience' once in a while without breaking the pocketbook. If you have an AR15, you can let him fire it. But in general, I'd go with something like a 10/22 if it's going to be his gun. I'd treat it like choosing his first car. It ain't gonna be a brand new 'Vette.

Feedback Score
    I'd vote for an AR with a drop-in .22 conversion kit.

Feedback Score
    Nordic or JP .22 AR. Can add a center fire upper down the road when he pays for his own ammo.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Can a 16 year old buy a rifle in your state ?? If not do you know what a straw purchase is??? Maybe I am too cautious but it would be my rifle, he would use it only with my supervision and it would stay in my safe until the day he moves out of my house. Not saying your kid is bad but kids know other kids that might be.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Colt 6720

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast