Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a good rifle for my 16 year old?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What's a good rifle for my 16 year old?

My nieces could handle a 16" 5.56 AR long before they were 16, so your son should have no issues with it.

Having said that, a Colt 6720 is my recommendation.
    Last edited by grizzman; 08-08-17 at 19:01.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Can a 16 year old buy a rifle in your state ?? If not do you know what a straw purchase is??? Maybe I am too cautious but it would be my rifle, he would use it only with my supervision and it would stay in my safe until the day he moves out of my house. Not saying your kid is bad but kids know other kids that might be.
    There really isn't anything illegal about purchasing a gift for your son/daughter.
    Assuming his son is not a criminal that is legally not allowed to possess a firearm, a parent can purchase for a child, it's done all the time.
    A parent is allowed to purchase a rifle for their child as a gift, that's not criminal activity.
    It would be a totally different situation if someone would ask you to go purchase a specific firearm for them knowing they are unable to pass the standard background check, and/or that person is legally not allowed to possess a firearm. That's when the straw purchase concept comes to light, not while purchasing a gift.

OP, If a rifle is what your boy really wants, go ahead and buy him an AR. It is in no way too much rifle for a 16y/o, not even close. Teach him proper firearms handling and the fundamentals, he should really enjoy that gift. Every child in my family has their own AR and they really enjoy the range time. I say go for it, it will be a gift he will never forget, and one he will be able to pass down to his own children one day.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by terreythompson View Post
    My son's birthday is coming up and all he's been talking about is me getting him an AR-15, but I was thinking maybe it's too much gun for him. Was wondering if people thought maybe a .22 LR would be a more suitable option. I've been trying to do my homework on both cuz I'm not that familiar with either. I've always been more a handgun fan myself, but that's more for blowing off some steam. My kid wants the rapid fire experience. I checked out this article ( https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-ar-15-for-the-money/) about “the best AR-15” choices available, but I'm still not sure. Was wondering if any of y'all have had experiences with one (or more) of these?? Since I'm on a fixed income, I'm thinking bout getting the Aero Precision, but I dont want to skimp if it means it's not as good of a gun. Any thoughts?

A .22LR is great for an 8 year old.

Get that 16 year old young man an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaLEOjd View Post
    There really isn't anything illegal about purchasing a gift for your son/daughter.
    Assuming his son is not a criminal that is legally not allowed to possess a firearm, a parent can purchase for a child, it's done all the time.
    A parent is allowed to purchase a rifle for their child as a gift, that's not criminal activity.
    It would be a totally different situation if someone would ask you to go purchase a specific firearm for them knowing they are unable to pass the standard background check, and/or that person is legally not allowed to possess a firearm. That's when the straw purchase concept comes to light, not while purchasing a gift.

OP, If a rifle is what your boy really wants, go ahead and buy him an AR. It is in no way too much rifle for a 16y/o, not even close. Teach him proper firearms handling and the fundamentals, he should really enjoy that gift. Every child in my family has their own AR and they really enjoy the range time. I say go for it, it will be a gift he will never forget, and one he will be able to pass down to his own children one day.
    So.. Can I purchase a rifle for my 37 year old son who I don't know is bi-polar? Can I buy one for my 62 year old wife's birthday?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A lot of ARs out there in the 6920 price range. Or a 6720. I'd recommend play it safe and go Colt for decent quality, good customer support and he has a COLT. Big deal to a kid probably. Physically it won't be an issue. If you're not experienced with it find someone who is even if you need to pay an hour or so. If you live near a manned range, they'd likely be happy to take care of a first timer birthday kid. He'll need a red dot you know. Mandatory and tell him Happy Birthday for us.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So.. Can I purchase a rifle for my 37 year old son who I don't know is bi-polar? Can I buy one for my 62 year old wife's birthday?
    Federally speaking you can.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...s-18-years-age

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom...arms-under-gca

Feedback Score
    M&P 15-22.

Feedback Score
    I will swim upstream a bit from the recommendation flow here and recommend the Colt 6920. The reason is simple, even after good instruction and supervision he is going to run the snot out of that gun on his birthday and for quite a while thereafter. The heavier barrel of the 6920 should handle the heat a bit better than the lighter barrel of the 6720, perhaps resulting in keeping tighter groups for a bit longer during range sessions. Given that it is first gun he will probably be working on marksmanship at the range so again might be useful under those circumstances. If you really want to be a sport on his birthday then get him the 6920 and a dedicated 22lr upper and enjoy the smile on his face.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...40019/redirect

6920 trooper

Depending on your son and you, getting good parts together and accurate how to information could be a neat way to go also.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 08-08-17 at 21:59.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast