Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's a good rifle for my 16 year old?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Go read a 4473. It spells it out.

Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    So.. Can I purchase a rifle for my 37 year old son who I don't know is bi-polar? Can I buy one for my 62 year old wife's birthday?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would get him what he needs to learn well and safely and inexpensively and not what he wants. A Ruger 10/22 with aperture sights on it is about the best beginner gun in the world if it has to be semi-auto. I would get him a 22 bolt action until he proved he was safe and can actually shoot what he is aiming at instead of the rapid fire experience.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terreythompson View Post

My kid wants the rapid fire experience.

Since I'm on a fixed income, I'm thinking bout getting the Aero Precision, but I dont want to skimp if it means it's not as good of a gun. Any thoughts?
    First, the rapid fire experience is expensive and teaches nothing good...might be fun, but so are a lot of other dumb things to do. And definitely not something to let a new shooter do...

Fixed income? You can teach a new shooter much with a bolt action or a lever .22 rifle. I'd start there. 10-22 is a good gun, but start out with a good non-semi auto. Teach your son to shoot WELL before you teach him to shoot a LOT.

Just my $0.02 you got for free on the interwebs......
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 08-09-17 at 06:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Fundi View Post
    I would get him what he needs to learn well and safely and inexpensively and not what he wants. A Ruger 10/22 with aperture sights on it is about the best beginner gun in the world if it has to be semi-auto. I would get him a 22 bolt action until he proved he was safe and can actually shoot what he is aiming at instead of the rapid fire experience.
    Didn't see this post...but I agree. Semiautos do not always teach trigger control and shooting fundamentals to a 16 year old kid itching to keep pulling that bang switch...

Feedback Score
    Nothing wrong with a semi-auto. IMO, it is easier to teach good follow through and fundamentals with a semi. If he learns to shoot a semi well, a bolt will be easy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by terreythompson View Post
    Since I'm on a fixed income
    What is the price your looking at?

If your trying to stay in the $500 or less range I'd recommend the S&W sport II, they are on sale for $500 or less all the time. Lifetime warranty.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    16 years old is nearly a full grown man.
    My first gun was a 22 semi at 14yr old, followed in a year by a pump 12 ga.
    Bought myself an ak on my 18th birthday. Never owned a bolt gun and I learned fundamentals just fine.
    There is nothing wrong with rapid fire. It's fun. It's not practice, but can be fun and safe.
    Make sure he is safe, maybe go to an Appleseed together, but starting off with a full rifle or semi is fine, maybe 22 is preferred for cost reasons.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-09-17 at 07:59.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Tony View Post
    Colt 6920 just because you can get them fairly cheap right now and someone was going to say it anyway. Other than that Sionics, great company, I liked the fact that when I called with questions they answered right away and were very helpful. Also liked the fact that when you call you hear hammering and other stuff getting done in the background.
    Agreed^^^^ great prices and great value.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My first firearm was a Ruger 10/22. So that would be my first recommendation. Of course I was 8 or 9, he will be 16 and may be disappointed in "only getting a .22lr". If I were looking at bolt action .22s I would look at a Ruger 77/22 or a CZ. Those are if he is a beginner and if you wanted to get him a .22.

But since you mentioned looking for 5.56 ARs I will jump on the train with everyone else and say get him a 6920 or 6720. Unless you want to spoil him and in that case get him a BCM 14.5" ELW-F with 13" KMR.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    .22LR for an 8 year old.

Real rifle for a 16yo. I would get him something good, something worth keeping, something worth remembering.

Based on that I would buy him a Colt. A 6720 is a great rifle, for a little more a 6960 is even better.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast