Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What's a good rifle for my 16 year old?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The short answer is a Colt for all the reasons mentioned. A "good kid" at 16 is (and ought to be) well on the way, God willing, to being a good man. My son is a shooter, but it's not a priority in his life; flying is. He celebrated his 16th birthday by soloing.

Probably if I had been challenged and encouraged more as a kid I'd have been ahead of the curve instead of behind it so much for so long...

Go have fun with him.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 08-09-17 at 13:13.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I agree with the sentiment that an AR is not "too much" gun for a 16 year old. MY 11 and 13 year old shoot mine regularly. At today's prices it's hard for me to tell you not to just get a Colt, the premium isn't much these days. The bigger question IMO is if you should be putting a gun in the hands of someone looking for a "rapid fire experience". Maturity is more of an issue to me and if that's the case, buy yourself the carbine and let him shoot it under your supervision. You can gift it to him or get him his own when/if he proves himself able to handle the responsibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Both the 22LR or .223 are great options. I have a Smith & Wesson .22LR AR15 platform that shoots lights out. And the trusty Colt 6920 or other top tier AR that's suitable.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Well, I'm going to advise something completely different, but at least something with which I have experience. I recommend a Ruger AR556. You can pick them up for about $450-$500 right now. I had one and had no problems with it. It was my trunk gun for about 6 months and never had any malfunctions when I took it to the range.

I sold it off after the threat of Hillary passed (replaced it with a Barrett REC7) and now am trying my hand at rolling my own.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    M1 Garand.

Feedback Score

What's a good rifle for my 16 year old?

Go right now to Guns Midwest and get the colt le6920 trooper for 699 shipped. It's the best deal you'll see in AWHILE. It blows anything else in the price range out of the water. It'll be a good investment too in the long run. The price can only go up from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hulibarri4001; 09-23-17 at 19:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...40019/redirect

6920 trooper

Depending on your son and you, getting good parts together and accurate how to information could be a neat way to go also.
    This OP, do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Since you're not familiar with the AR platform I'm guessing your son isn't either. From what you describe, I personally as a father would start him off with a .22LR. Let him learn fundamentals and safety first. An AR15 is nothing like a handgun, it shoots a high velocity round that will travel a long distance and do major damage. Teach him well and let him earn his way up to the AR. Remember you are responsible for every round that leaves that barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by terreythompson View Post
    Was wondering if people thought maybe a .22 LR would be a more suitable option. My kid wants the rapid fire experience. Since I'm on a fixed income
    Rapid fire, and fixed income point to a .22LR to me. I have a 6920, and it is my favorite rifle, but I also have a Ruger 10/22 which is a nice rifle also, and a lot less expensive to shoot, so consider that.

Feedback Score
    I would also agree with those that recommend the Ruger 10/22 it comes in a variety of configurations and will be a useful tool for a lifetime. Mine has eliminated numerous possums, groundhogs and raccoons around the house over the years.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast