Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of bolt charging handle upgrades?

Feedback Score

Benefits of bolt charging handle upgrades?

I'm new to AR Carbines and have one of the Ruger AR 556 entry level models that I have changed the stock, hand rail, added vertical grip all by MagPul. I was just curious, if upgrading the charging handle would be beneficial as far as actual usage or, mainly cosmetic? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Absolutely an upgraded charging handle can be beneficial. I upgraded mine to one of BCM gunfighters in order to get better clearance between the lever and the scope.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Agree with Kk and add- the speed at which you can access/operate the BCG is greatly increased with a CH upgrade.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have the BCM medium latch and really like it. Only downside is that it can poke when the rifle is slung, but not awful. I think one of the other extended patches (Raptor maybe?) is supposed to negate that issue, but the BCM/Vltor has held up well for a fair amount of time now.

If it doesn't cause a functioning issue, one of the ambi bolt hold opens (I use BAD levers) is the trick on locking a bolt back when combined with the extended latch. While teetering on being just a convenience for loading and unloading, the combo would be a major plus on some types of malfunction clearances.

Feedback Score
    For now, spend your money on ammo. Wait until you've shot a few thousand rounds before you decide on what you "need" and what you want based on the style of shooter you are or want to be. You'll have a lot more money in your pocket and be better off for it. Same goes for deciding on what optic to get for your rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p5200 View Post
    I'm new to AR Carbines and have one of the Ruger AR 556 entry level models that I have changed the stock, hand rail, added vertical grip all by MagPul. I was just curious, if upgrading the charging handle would be beneficial as far as actual usage or, mainly cosmetic? Thanks!
    Welcome to M4C.

I like the raptor charging handles in cold weather. (It’s 26 degrees here this am). And for faster manipulation under stress. Certainly not cosmetic reasons for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZRenegade View Post
    For now, spend your money on ammo. Wait until you've shot a few thousand rounds before you decide on what you "need" and what you want based on the style of shooter you are or want to be. You'll have a lot more money in your pocket and be better off for it. Same goes for deciding on what optic to get for your rifle.
    I'm a noob but i'm on board with the whole learn a rifle in its stock form, get a feel for what you do like ad what you'd like to change, but do this over time and dont rush the process. just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Not cosmetic. The newer aftermarket CH are functionally stronger and much better designed. Necessary? Not really unless you're using your gun for serious purposes. They do break occasionally, but it's not that common. Work with the standard mil spec for a while and practice support side usage as well.

When the Radian Raptor goes on sale, pick one up then. I'm a definitely a fan. No finger pinchy at all. I've only used the all aluminum version. Ambi is a nice bonus as it doesn't hurt anything (doesn't get caught on anything for me), but allows for support side speed and easy chamber checks. Practice sometimes like you have a standard for muscle memory as well.

If you decide to go BCM, get the Mod5 (very good as well). The Mod3 & 4 will stab you in the chest if you're not wearing plates or chest rig. Only reason to go Mod3 or 4 is if you're wearing gloves often IMO. Raptor is better IME having owned Mod4 & 5 with the 5 being the better one IMO.
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 12-22-17 at 13:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theM90NP View Post
    I'm a noob but i'm on board with the whole learn a rifle in its stock form, get a feel for what you do like ad what you'd like to change, but do this over time and dont rush the process. just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Failure drills will tell you if you need a new charging handle or not. I had trouble performing them under stress. A bcm mod4 (medium) solves the issue. It may jab my chest sometimes, but I’ve started pulling the gun to the side more. It reduces the chances of it poking me, and keeps the gun tighter to my body and keeps it clear to do other stuff with my hands.

The slight pain on occasion is well worth the trade off IMO and is not an issue for me. Sling setup will impact how the gun lays against your body as well.

I recommend the bcm but have not used any others besides stock, so I can’t comment on others.

Feedback Score
    I think the benefits of a CH upgrade negate any con you might be able to think of. It's an upgrade to a part that didn't seem to have much functionality built into it in the first place other than being able to do the job it was intended for. For $45 you can't really go wrong with a BCM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast