Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LaRue Tactical Ultimate AR Upper Kit Sale - A sign of the times?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Doesn't actually seem like a bad deal for what you are getting. I kinda wish they would do it without the plastics and I'm not a fan of at least the looks of them. They may be good but I'm rather stick with what I already am used to. Anyone know the story of why larue sat on these newer uppers so long? They showed them off I want to say like 2 years ago at shot show and have had them for sale in limited numbers before. I had wanted one when I first saw the pics but have since built something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Of course, they don't even make the lowers. It is easy enough to tell the actual supplier that they want X amount and pay for them after they are sold. Pay bills on time and magic happens.
    Is that still true? I know at first they were made elsewhere(I want to say smos but I could be wrong) but I thought they said the production was moved in house a while ago.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ordered my 6.5 Grendel on August 7th at 10:30PM; it shipped August 11th, at 5:55PM; received it today, August 15th, at 1:30PM. No complaints about the order fulfillment and shipping.

The upper kit was nicely packaged, foam cutouts for each part as well as the LaRue swag - 'dillo rub, 'dillo beverage entry tool, bumper stickers, several booklet copies of the constitution, as well as a couple of reproducible zero targets and LaRue's version of the Blue Press. All in all first impression favorable.

Closer scrutiny revealed the FDE upper and rail attached, they were pristine, with no visible flaws. Much to my surprise, the 6.5 barrel was packaged with the gas block installed and the gas tube pinned into place, of course that will have to come off, but I'm sure it is dimpled. The rifle also shipped with a barrel and muzzle device wrench with torque specs on the wrench.

The MBT trigger is installed in a trigger action chassis, it feels pretty darned good. The bolt and bolt carrier are, well, a bolt and bolt carrier - shipped lubed and properly staked.

I have a Silencerco ASR Brake to put on it for my Omega so the Tranquillo Brake will have to find a new home.

I'm pretty stoked about this purchase, initially I was even more stoked because at first glance at the package it was in, I thought the Dillo Beverage Entry Tool was an ambi kit for the charging handle, then I picked it up, oh well.

Right now I'm busy getting my daughter ready to go to college out of state. I'll be back from that trip on Friday so this weekend I'll moly resin the lower FDE and assemble the rifle.

I'm worried that if it shoots nearly as good as it looks, I'm going to turn into one of those despicable fanboys.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 08-15-17 at 23:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Of course, they don't even make the lowers. It is easy enough to tell the actual supplier that they want X amount and pay for them after they are sold. Pay bills on time and magic happens.
    Well, apparently LaRue has been able to continue to pay the bills on time, LOL.

They are now offering the lower to go with the Ultimate Upper build kit. You can buy one lower per Ultimate AR Upper Kit that you've purchased for 199.00:

L - A - R - U - E

L - O - W - E - R - S

It's true, as previously hinted at online, Ultimate Upper Kit buyers can now buy yourself a LaRue Lower to go with that UU kit ... time to build yourself a complete LaRue Ultra-Precision rifle.

You can buy one for each UU KIT you have ORDERED or are about to order.

All lowers must ship to buyer's FFL

FEATURES

. CNC-Machined from 7075 Aluminum

. Reinforced in critical areas

. Flared magwell for easy magazine changes

. Generous trigger guard for operation with gloves

. Type-3 hard coat anodized

. Reinforced buffer tube area

Be advised, we have a finite amount of small block (5.56 version) and big block (7.62 version) lowers completed and on our shelves. They are all black anodized. If you check the FDE or UDE box, allow some time for coating, but it will happen and they will be nut bustin' gorgeous.

When you mate-up your LaRue lower with your new LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit, you end up with a hammer that shoots lights-out. Plus you are the one that put it together, so you are darn near an AR Armorer by proxy.

Thanks for jumping onto our Ultimate Upper bandwagon early ... we're getting great feedback/reviews and know you got yourself some bragging rights. Aim small, hit small, and clean your chambers.

Mark LaRue

http://www.larue.com/larue-billet-lowers

I ordered one just to get a little closer than I was able to on their FDE finish.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Back to your actual topic and question, regarding if they are feeling a crunch... the price of their AR15 is now $1000. Compare that to their price awhile back. You can see Colt rifles are cheaper than ever, as are Bushmaster, DPMS, and others.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Back to your actual topic and question, regarding if they are feeling a crunch... the price of their AR15 is now $1000. Compare that to their price awhile back. You can see Colt rifles are cheaper than ever, as are Bushmaster, DPMS, and others.
    Not far off. In pieces a 6.5 Grendel Ultimate AR (stealth upper) with their lower would run 1100.00 to 1200.00 and you assemble. The same rifle runs 1999.00 assembled.

The question still remains, to me at least, are they feeling the crunch of flat sales due to earlier panic buying, or are they just wanting to grab more market, thus more money, for other reasons.

As I said in my original post:

I would have expected that their customer base is more astute and that their sales somewhat steady. I felt that they, and others such as Noveske and KAC, would be mostly immune from the sudden spike and corresponding big drop that the fear-based frenzy of first time buyers caused.

According to ATF, Noveske manufactured just over 1,000 rifles in 2016, KAC and LaRue were each under 2,000; obviously they all produced accessories which are not required to be reported to ATF, but it would seem that the three companies are not aiming at the mass market buyer.

I guess anything is conjecture on this subject.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Just ordered 3 billet lowers to put away

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    i had the will power to not buy guns. I even bought a gun store and work for a company that manufactures the forging machines for said guns. I need help.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalFun View Post
    Just ordered 3 billet lowers to put away

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    So you ordered 3 of their upper kits too?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Edited. I have a 6.5 upper before the lowers were available and have purchased a creedmoor upper just now. The third lower was denied do to i do not need a third upper.
    Last edited by TacticalFun; 09-14-17 at 13:30.
    i had the will power to not buy guns. I even bought a gun store and work for a company that manufactures the forging machines for said guns. I need help.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just an update, my lower arrived several days ago and I picked it up Friday (12/1/17) so I had a 2.5 month wait.

I transferred the FCG (the MBT trigger) and RE, stock, and grip, from the lower I had been using with the 6.5 Grendel upper. I remain somewhat disappointed that a Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch wont work with the upper, but really not essential for the use I intend for this one.

Everything went together nicely, I used my new KNS hammer cage to install the hammer, pretty nice, I think I'm going to get my money's worth out of that little gadget.

The receivers mated, well, should we say, snugly? Obviously the four layers of cerakote removed what little play there may have been between the upper and lower. I had to use my farmer strength to get the front lug into the lower, and then had to give it the ol' rap with the heel of the hand to get it seated so the rear takedown pin would slide in. Absolutely no wobble. I opened and closed it about a dozen times, still need a little oomph to get the rear aligned, but I like the snugness.

Colors matched nicely considering they weren't done as a unit, much better than the lower I had Moly Resin'ed matched:

Attachment 49015Attachment 49014

I haven't shoot it with the new lower, but see no reason anything would be affected accuracy-wise.

I'm a happy camper.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I used my new KNS hammer cage to install the hammer, pretty nice, I think I'm going to get my money's worth out of that little gadget.
    I'd never heard of this gadget until this comment. After watching a person on YouTube using it, I must say I'm impressed. Why didn't somebody come up with this simple gadget earlier?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast